SDRuno and DAB FM Digital Sidebands?

General discussions
NoelC

SDRuno and DAB FM Digital Sidebands?

Post by NoelC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Is there any SDRuno-associated/related software decoding the DAB (digital) parts of FM signals nowadays, as received by RSP1/2?

Am I missing an obvious settings somewhere in the sea of buttons?

If not, are there hopes/plans for expanding SDRuno to turn these signals into audio?

-Noel

Reason: No reason

DOUGG

Re: SDRuno and DAB FM Digital Sidebands?

Post by DOUGG » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Probably not that is a propiertiry format so a reciever would need a license I believe
Last edited by DOUGG on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:37 pm

We do actually plan to add DAB demodulation and decoding to SDRuno, but we have no schedule for it just yet.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

13dka

Post by 13dka » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:17 pm

You can use SoDiRa...

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... &sandbox=1

...with the ExtIO .dlls for the RSP1+2 to decode DAB+. I recently tried that with the RSP2 and it works fine. Due to the program offerings on DAB# around here, it wasn't worth the effort tho. :)

Edit: Do not confuse "digital sidebands" (which sounds more like "HD radio") and DAB, they are very different things and each of them is not available on the corresponding other side of the big pond (HD radio=American digital supplement to existing FM radio, DAB=European digital audio broadcast standard not even using the FM band).

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Tech_Support wrote:We do actually plan to add DAB demodulation and decoding to SDRuno, but we have no schedule for it just yet.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support
Thank you! That's good to know.

EDIT: Based on the post just above, I may have confused DAB with digital sidebands. What I really mean is getting digital audio quality from the radio waves. These:

I've been using the SDRuno application a LOT lately, and I just have to say:

Nice job!

-Noel

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Hello Noel,
Unfortunately, those are HD Radio signals, not DAB. HD Radio is a proprietary system and as far as we are aware, it has never been successfully coded as a software based demodulator because the owners of the system IP will not permit it. in my understanding, some progress has been made using GNU Radio, but whether this will ever yield audio given that HD Radio uses a unique codec remains to be seen.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 pm

I see. Thanks.

Ah well, it's not like the 192k analog audio is lacking much. Frankly it sounds great.

-Noel

PG3

Post by PG3 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:44 am

Just for the record, "HD radio" is "Hybrid Digital Radio" not "high definition" as many providers would have you believe. To me HD radio doesn't sound as good as standard analog FM stereo given sufficient signal strength. The advantage of HD radio is that as long as there is enough signal to decode there is no static, so it may sound better in absence of good signal strength.

NoelC

Post by NoelC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:43 am

Is there no additional audio bandwidth? Some claims of "CD quality audio" have been put forth.

-Noel

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 am

NoelC wrote:Is there no additional audio bandwidth? Some claims of "CD quality audio" have been put forth.
They also claim this for DAB radio. In fact several DAB stations have a quality less than mp3.
73, Heinrich