[RSP2] Short-circuit resilience of the Bias-T?

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
13dka

[RSP2] Short-circuit resilience of the Bias-T?

Post by 13dka » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:06 pm

The bias-T "junction box" of the active Bonito Whip says in big letters "A short-circuit will destroy the device!". That made me wonder how much of a beating the bias-T in the RSP2 will take?

Reason: No reason

13dka

Re: [RSP2] Short-circuit resilience of the Bias-T?

Post by 13dka » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:31 am

In a related matter, depending on the answer to the question above - the position of the checkbox on the ExtIO.dll GUI may or may not be bad/risky:
Knob_Position_Issue.gif
Knob_Position_Issue.gif (14.3 KiB) Viewed 14237 times
I always try to check the status of the bias-T and try to avoid using AntB if I can, so nothing can happen to the RSP2. However, to my surprise I occasionally found that the bias-T came on, even though I didn't have an active antenna attached in weeks.

You probably know the problem when mouse buttons start "bouncing". The first closing of the switch closes the antenna dropdown selection menu, the second "bounce" contact may now inadvertently switch on the bias-t because the mouse pointer is hovering right above the target area of the checkbox. Sometimes, when comparing signals on different antennas, or comparing the antennas you'll switch forth and back a lot, and then the bias-T can come on without you noticing.

Of course I couldn't capture such an event in the .GIF above. :) But if shorting the antenna input can be a problem (e.g. if you're running antennas with baluns on AntB), this checkbox should be moved.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks, I've made a note of it and it will be moved to the right on the next release.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

13dka

Post by 13dka » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:39 am

Thank you very much1

supwiddiss

Post by supwiddiss » Tue May 09, 2017 11:10 pm

Brand new here. 24 hours on a RSP2pro.
Great question, although unanswered.
How much current can the Bias-T supply without causing internal damage?
Is it current limited when switched on?
A short in coax or an amp "gone south" and frying the SDR would not be too fun, not to mention USB internals in my computer.
Just in case I ever purchase a mast mounted preamp it would be a good thing to know.
Cheers...
Last edited by supwiddiss on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.