HDSDR Tuning is very "laggy"

Post your feedback here
ChuckM

HDSDR Tuning is very "laggy"

Post by ChuckM » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:48 pm

While I'm no where near an SDR expert, I have been using an SDR for some time as a pan adapter for various rigs, as well as just tinkering with the receiver. The SDRPlay is my first that is not using a soundcard, so I'm hoping that my issue is with the computer.

I've previously used both an LPPan for a Yaesu rig and was experimenting with a SoftRock Esemble II for a Kenwood rig. Getting HDSDR synced with the SDRPlay was easy as pie. Installation of the new EXTIO was a snap and it works fine. However, it has a noticeable lag when both tuning the vfo and having it track the rig's vfo with Omnirig. To put it plainly, its not smooth at all tuning across the band. Its extremely jerky, and to the point that I had to turn off the HDSDR>OmniRig because it actually made the 590SG's vfo jerky (while tuning a frequency, it would actually snap back).

I just got started last night, and only did some rudimentary testing. The computer is a Core2 running Win7. I installed a separate USB3 card just in case it was a bandwidth issue. The CPU total doesn't seem to run that high. I've activated and deactivated Omni Rig thinking that was it, but the lag appears while using the mouse wheel to tune only the SDRPlay. I will continue to tinker with various settings, but there are TONS new to me with this little rig.. so if anyone has suggestions on where I can get started to get this to smooth out, or if this is just the nature of the rig, I'd be most appreciative.
Last edited by ChuckM on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

ChuckM

Re: HDSDR Tuning is very "laggy"

Post by ChuckM » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:22 pm

ChuckM wrote:While I'm no where near an SDR expert, I have been using an SDR for some time as a pan adapter for various rigs, as well as just tinkering with the receiver. The SDRPlay is my first that is not using a soundcard, so I'm hoping that my issue is with the computer.

I've previously used both an LPPan for a Yaesu rig and was experimenting with a SoftRock Esemble II for a Kenwood rig. Getting HDSDR synced with the SDRPlay was easy as pie. Installation of the new EXTIO was a snap and it works fine. However, it has a noticeable lag when both tuning the vfo and having it track the rig's vfo with Omnirig. To put it plainly, its not smooth at all tuning across the band. Its extremely jerky, and to the point that I had to turn off the HDSDR>OmniRig because it actually made the 590SG's vfo jerky (while tuning a frequency, it would actually snap back).

I just got started last night, and only did some rudimentary testing. The computer is a Core2 running Win7. I installed a separate USB3 card just in case it was a bandwidth issue. The CPU total doesn't seem to run that high. I've activated and deactivated Omni Rig thinking that was it, but the lag appears while using the mouse wheel to tune only the SDRPlay. I will continue to tinker with various settings, but there are TONS new to me with this little rig.. so if anyone has suggestions on where I can get started to get this to smooth out, or if this is just the nature of the rig, I'd be most appreciative.

Since I can't edit without 2 poll options, and I have no poll authority, I'll followup:

ETA: I realize now that this is occurring only while tuning the LO. I'm attempting to mimic the performance of the Softrock and LPPan, tying the LO and Tune together so that I can keep the passband centered and see above and below the center frequency at all times. Although not a deal breaker, its a bit disappointing that the LO tuning is not smooth enough to do this. Unbinding the Tune and LO works fine, just not quite the function I'm looking for.
Last edited by ChuckM on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason