Version 1.04 and VErsion 1.12

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
W9KJO

Version 1.04 and VErsion 1.12

Post by W9KJO » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Hello sirs,

When I use Version 1.04 I can run five VFO's and a bandwidth of 5 MHZ allowing me to monitor two band, 80m and 40m for digital signals all at the same time with no stutter. Works great.

When I upgrade to Version 1.12 I get stutter at 4 Mhz and do not have enough band width for the same capabilities. I tried changing that Setting next to the bandwidth, cant recall it title designation, and the signals just disappeared all together when I change that setting and could not seem to figure out how to get the signals back. with each level on that control the band showed differing results with signals only on the default setting.

Version 1.04 works great, but it would be nice to keep up with updates.

What would be necessary to get 1.12 to cover the same bandwidth as 1.04?

Or what would I need to do to get that control to continue to allow signals when adjusted?

Would it be possible to put an RSP1 option that allowed the Bandwidth to be controlled similar to version 1.04 for those of us not doing Lab work?

I have tried SDR Console. IMO SDR UNO is far superior to Console. I really don't like console at all.

Thanks W9KJO

Reason: No reason

2E0JGR

Re: Version 1.04 and VErsion 1.12

Post by 2E0JGR » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I run the RSP2 and have likewise found the stutter on 1.12 to be a major issue, earlier issues I found no problem at all. I have now installed HDSR for RSP and this is working flawlessly but I really like the U.I. of SDRuno.

It must be a bug in the script and hopefully they will correct the issues as it really ramps the CPU usage by quite some margin compared to the previous versions where I could expect 20-50% on my laptops Core2Duo.
Last edited by 2E0JGR on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

W9KJO

Post by W9KJO » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:49 pm

Yes HDSDR runs flawlessly, I use it in my mobile setup which has an RSP1 too, however it only allows one VFO. In SDR UNO I run five VFO's for digital modes, which I love.

SDR Console keeps going into fatal errors and locking up both V2 and V3 on Windows 10 PC with a 6 core processor and tons of Ram. So its not a viable solution either.

I have to use V1.04 SDR UNO which runs great but it does not have the new feature of centering a VFO in the waterfall.

The SDR UNO suite still needs a way to save all VFO setting for when the software is closed and reopened.

It would be great if the people who sell the SDR Play would read the forum from time to time. They claimed great customer support yet many question go without responses. Just an acknowledgment would really help.

Still the SDR Play RSP1 is an excellent SDR receiver. It is an amazing device. It just needs software that will empower it great capabilities.

W9KJO, 73

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:24 pm

Please note that this is a community forum and not a support forum. It is intended for the community to share ideas and information. If you have suggestions for improvements or need support from SDRplay, please email sdrplay support as stated at the top of this page.

Regards

SDRplay Tech_Support

13dka

Post by 13dka » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 pm

On my i7 laptop I never had any performance issues with SDRuno 1.12, today I'm trying some "convertible" tablet with Win10 and an Atom x5 something CPU and made some (kind of) unexpected observations re dropouts:

- in Low IF mode, 8192k sample rate/decimation 4/1536k BW is giving me dropouts independent from zoom. Boo.
- in Zero IF mode, 8MHz sample rate/decimation 2 or 4/1536k BW or decimation 1=full BW is without stutters unless I zoom in, IOW as long as most of (or the entire) spectrum chunk is on display - no dropouts.
- in SDR Console v3 I can run 8 or 2 MHz BW and zoom in and out as desired, no dropouts. IOW the tablet is fully capable of processing and displaying that bandwidth and does not have an obvious bottleneck somewhere.

Edit:
I played a bit more with the tablet - in tablet mode. SDRuno is close to be unusable with a touch screen. Not only the tiny UI elements pose a big problem. It's almost impossible to select a new frequency range for the spectrum and the memory panel is of no help there, because the already slow redraw on "real computers" becomes a "1 line per second" ordeal when trying to scroll the list. Several UI elements don't react on touch input at all and trying to do that crashed SDRuno and the driver with it.

I can imagine that it must be hell to dig around in someone else's code and fix things, fundamentally changing the way how SDRuno looks and draws to the screen might be beyond what can be done with an existing app, but I'm afraid that would be necessary to make it play nice with touch screens and tablets. SDR Console v3 will hopefully become a great alternative tho, it's a breeze to use with the touch screen, everything works, almost everything on the UI is big enough (at least for the larger 11"+ HD tablets) and once you figured out how to grab the dial cursor it's quite easy to tune, it understands squeeze gestures to change the display span... absolutely usable.

13dka

Post by 13dka » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:11 pm

It looks like the Atom x5-based slate caused the trouble with SDRuno. I'm currently trying another tablet/convertible (12.2", i3, active pen support) and the SDRuno GUI plays nice with it (and bandwidth/decimation/zoom doesn't cause stutters).

However the biggest problem is that SDRuno needs a mousewheel to mimic a VFO knob. Without the wheel, the only way to tune past the SP2 display range (and to tune LO and tuner together) is using a keyboard (or a T-Mate), since you can't just tap one of the frequency readout digits like in other programs.