ADS-B ob RSP 1?

General discussions
KA1OWC

ADS-B ob RSP 1?

Post by KA1OWC » Wed May 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Now I am really confused...Is it possible to receive the aviation ADS-B broadcasts on the RSP1 and the SDRuno software? I see many questions about the Raspberry Pi computers, etc...I am running the RSP-1 on a Windows 10 machine...(Can you tell I am new at this stuff?)...Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Will I need a special antenna? Any advice is most appreciated! Thanks a lot,

Steve in Kansas
Last edited by KA1OWC on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: ADS-B ob RSP 1?

Post by Tech_Support » Thu May 18, 2017 8:00 am

Hello Steve,
SDRuno does not run on the Raspberry Pi, it is Windows only and it also does not decode ADS-B information. There is specific ADS-B software for the Raspberry Pi that is downloadable directly from our website.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

DanubeBCL

Re: ADS-B ob RSP 1?

Post by DanubeBCL » Thu May 18, 2017 8:31 am

KA1OWC wrote:Will I need a special antenna?
A special antenna designed for the 1 GHz range is not a bad idea. Wideband antennas sometimes do not give strong enough signals in this frequency range. I used a simple homemade construction for my RTL dongle tests made of copper wire like this
http://www.qsl.net/dl4mea/picadsb/adsb-ant-drawing.gif
and had good results even when placed only at my window sill inside the room. When you are interested in "high end" ADS-B you could of course buy a commercial special outdoors antenna with a low noise amplifier. But personally I think that's not worth it. ADS-B reception is interesting in the beginning, but soon you will lose motivation. Honestly said: After I saw the same airplanes every single day again and again after a couple of weeks I lost the interest.

73s, Heinrich