RSP-1 or RSP-2?

General discussions
KA1OWC

RSP-1 or RSP-2?

Post by KA1OWC » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:34 pm

I have built my RSP-1 into a "Go-Box" setup and it is really great for field use, but a pain to remove from the box for other locations...I want to purchase another SDR Play unit for installation in my home, but here is my question: Should I stick with the RSP-1 or step up to the RSP-2? I am a basic SWL listener using a random wire antenna, and a licensed amateur radio operator who has not yet gotten into digital...Would the RSP-2 make more sense for possible future enhancements? Are the added features of the RSP-2 worth it to me or will they just sit there and not be utilized? Thanks a lot for your advice!

Steve KA1OWC

Reason: No reason
Steve Ziegler
KA1OWC
Lieutenant Colonel (Ret)
United States Army

mikeladd

Re: RSP-1 or RSP-2?

Post by mikeladd » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Like yourself I am a SWL'er...The RSP-1 is a fantastic SDR but I really like the additional inputs of the RSP-2. I like that I can adjust the LNA vs it just being ON or OFF. The AM/FM notch filters of the RSP-2 help minimize inter-modulation here in NYC. I can crank the gain a bit and not hear local AM stations bleed in.

Just my 2 cents.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:39 pm

I agree with Mike. The 2 uses the same receiver chips as the 1 so it has the same basic performance, but the added flexibility of the three antenna inputs and the better controllability of the front-end gain make it better in use. Then there is the bias-T on one input which gets rid of the extra box & wires when you are using a mast-head converter or pre-amp. Worth having.

Andy

Chivilco

Post by Chivilco » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:47 pm

I think that in your find more useful the RSP2 because the RSP2 has shielding and you do not need to use a balum in long wire antennas. In addition to the RSP2 has an adjustable LNA in several steps and personally I find very useful in SW
Last edited by Chivilco on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.