New ExtIO for RSP1

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
n2ic

New ExtIO for RSP1

Post by n2ic » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:40 pm

I have installed the new API and ExtIO for RSP1, and it seems to be compatible with my product, Waterfall Bandmap, without any changes. Thanks for the backward compatibility !

Since the new API now supports GetDevices() and SetDeviceIdx() on RSP1 (as well as RSP2), how would I access and use this information from the ExtIO DLL ? I would like to simultaneously support two RSP devices, each running in its own instance of Waterfall Bandmap.

For those curious about Waterfall Bandmap:

Waterfall Bandmap (WB) combines a live waterfall display with callsign and frequency spotting information. The beauty of the WB is that you will not need complex and unreliable tools to interface the WB to your station. The WB tracks the frequency of your transceiver, and obtains DX spots directly from N1MM+, from any source, such as a telnet DX spotting cluster that is part of the Reverse Beacon Network. Unlike other waterfall implementations, the WB does not require virtual COM port splitters, VSPE, Omnirig, separate telnet connections, etc.

Waterfall Bandmap is freeware, but is not open source. There is a WaterfallBandmap yahoo group.

Thanks,
Steve

Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: New ExtIO for RSP1

Post by sdrplay » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:27 am

The EXTIO plugins search for available devices and use the first one available. So you can start multiple instances if you have multiple RSPs (just remember that the RSP1 EXTIO will ignore any RSP2 devices and visa versa)

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

n2ic

Post by n2ic » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:25 pm

The EXTIO plugins search for available devices and use the first one available.
That seems a little non-deterministic when you have multiple RSP's, since "first" depends on which one is first seen by the OS on the USB bus when booting the computer.

I would like to see an extension the ExtIO to be more deterministic in this regard. The (old) I2PHD ExtIO spec doesn't handle this, but perhaps it's time for a 2017 revision of the ExtIO spec, rather than hanging with the 2007 spec ?

In your github repo, you do say "We will continue to develop this plugin with fixes and new features. We will update this repository when those releases are available." The last time it was updated was October 16, 2015. I (and others) would appreciate it if you would follow through on this.

Thanks,
Steve

s55o_ian

Post by s55o_ian » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:32 am

Hello!

I've bought 2x RSP and want to use it as n2ic stated also on the same computer. It's a must for SO2R operations in hamradio contests.
Please try to include that into the new software changes, otherwise for contest uses it can be a deal breaker.

s55o
Last edited by s55o_ian on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

s55o_ian

Post by s55o_ian » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:38 am

Hello!

I'm a new user of the RSP2 and an avid hamradio contester. If it's possible i would like to use 2 RSP's on the same computer, but for now the software doesn't allow it. Please put it in the to do list, otherwise it can be a deal breaker for hamradio users.
Last edited by s55o_ian on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 am

You can use two RSP2s on the same computer. What software are you trying to use?

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support