Newbie, SDRplay RSP-1 with K3

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
bocamike

Newbie, SDRplay RSP-1 with K3

Post by bocamike » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:17 pm

I've acquired a SDRplay model RSP-1 along with a new-to-me Elecraft K3. Prior owner indicated he used Win4K3Suite as his preferred software. I very much look forward to using this package as a panadapter function on my system. I am at a total loss as to where to start. What if anything do I need to make this work? Do I need a SDRplay driver on my Win10 PC? Is there a required software download for product support? I have IF output on my K3, and a BNC connector on the SDRplay device. Also I see a USB port on the device. Is there some sort of "Hoodup and make run instruction for Dummies" available to help me in this task? Is there available basic information available on the web? As I previously confessed, I don't know where to begin, much less, do I know what questions to ask. I look forward to some help. Thanks.
Mike
Last edited by bocamike on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

SonOfFrankenstein

Re: Newbie, SDRplay RSP-1 with K3

Post by SonOfFrankenstein » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:29 pm

I've been using SDRPlay and HDSDR successfully with my K3S for almost a year now using IF output. Setup is fairly simple, just follow the instructions given by SDRPlay. I am controlling the frequency using DDE and Ham Radio Deluxe.

One very important lesson is to prevent near-field RF from entering the RSP1 box. I am using the new RSP2 now after having had the RSP1 and the RSP2 has more shielding. However, I do place the SDRPlay unit inside of a steel utility box for extra shielding. I am also using the DX Engineering RG-5000HD device to prevent overload on the input in case stray RF couples to the input cable which brings in the IF output from the K3S.

The key parameters are on the HDSDR side so that's all I can speak for. Please reply if you are using HDSDR and wish to learn more.

I'm new to this forum and I imagine others have posted this setup too.
Last edited by SonOfFrankenstein on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason