DRM reception with SDRPlay and SDRUno

Post your feedback here
jaypea500

DRM reception with SDRPlay and SDRUno

Post by jaypea500 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:12 am

my google-fu has google-fum'ed. I'd like to use the combo of SDRPlay and SDRUno to receiver DRM signals. I've downloaded both the Dream software and SoDiRa. I just can't locate the info to use either software with the SDRPlay/Uno combo. can someone help with instructions? or at least point me in the right direction?

many thanks...

...joe
Last edited by jaypea500 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

CaptainNemo

Re: DRM reception with SDRPlay and SDRUno

Post by CaptainNemo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 am

Generally speaking, you need to pipe the audio to you DRM software (e.g.DReaM)(*).
So you need a piece of software like VB-Cable (free or donation if you want, google for it)
Then you need:
-- in DReaM set the audio source to VB-Cable output
-- in the front-end controlling software (e.g. SDRUno)
-- --- send the audio to VB-Cable input
-- --- tune a DRM station (in USB mode tune to the left end of the signal) and set a bandwidth 10-11kHz

(*) if you download DReaM maybe they dont give you the "codec" for copyright reason, so you have to google for the codec to download.
Bye
Gio

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:41 am

Also consider:
Select VB Cable output as a signal input source in soundcard selection of Dream.
Select your loudspeaker under audio output of Dream.
Be careful not to mix up the soundcards here. Otherwise a loopback may occur and Dream listens to it's own output which makes decoding impossible. Both routes (input and output) must be separated.
When DRM decoding is successful you may still hear the DRM hiss of the input signal in your loudspeakers, in case you bridged VB output and your default playback device in the systems setting of Windows. (This is often needed because otherwise you cannot hear a sound from software which has no soundcard selection and uses VB cable as a default soundcard.) Then simply mute VB output in the system's soundmixer for your loudspeaker. Then the hiss goes away and the decoded audio of Dream remains.
I know that all these steps may be a bit confusing when you do it for the first time. After some "exercise" you know what to do automatically. And some of the settings described here are only made once. Only muting/unmuting the route of VB output to the speakers (if necessary) is what you have to do when swapping "normal" reception and DRM reception. And setting the receiver to USB/10 kHz for DRM and back to smaller bandwidths for "normal" reception, of course.
BTW: If you cannot find a precompiled libfaad2.dll for your Dream, look into the programme folder of SoDiRa ;) .
73, Heinrich

F1BJB

Post by F1BJB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:06 am

With Sodira you can use ExtIO_SDRplay_RSP1.dll and control directly your SDRPlay.
sodira.gif
sodira.gif (250.71 KiB) Viewed 38706 times
On the GUI I recommend using Zero IF with 200KHz bandwidth as Sodira is not suited for wide bandwidth.
Also check enable post tuner DC/IQ Compensation in the advanced panel to avoid the zero IF line on the picture above

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:39 pm

May I ask whether you know if Sodira will also run the RSP2 dll

F1BJB

Post by F1BJB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Sorry I don't know.

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Paul, ExtIO is a pretty much standardised interface. As long as the dlls have no bugs SoDiRa works with any ExtIO dll. I cannot swear that it works with the RSP 2 because I do not have an RSP 2. But I am sure you will have no problems.
73, Heinrich

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks Heinrich
Just exploring possibilities with the new toy.

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Well Paul, every SDR software has its particularities. Some like this feature, some like that. An advantage of SoDiRa is certainly the good DRM decoder for which you do not need extra software, Virtual Audio Cables or copyright protected codecs.
73, Heinrich

supwiddiss

Post by supwiddiss » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Could someone kindly post a few DRM freqs receivable in the USA?
I have it working with the help of a test file. But so far, no live reception.
Thanks!