Balanced Line Sharing of RSP2 with Rig. Yaesu FT 840

Useful information regarding antennas for SDR products.
EastPier

Balanced Line Sharing of RSP2 with Rig. Yaesu FT 840

Post by EastPier » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:55 pm

I am new to the hobby and currently own an RSP2. The RSP2 is fed via 300ohm ladder line from a 20m Doublet (Dipole) mounted on the side of the house. I am going for my license soon and have decided to buy a Yaesu FT 840 as a first rig (this Rig does not have an RF out port). I want to keep the RSP2 fed from the current antenna via the 300ohm ladder line to the Hi-Z port. At this stage all I want is to share the antenna and have a simple switch mechanism to go between the the RSP2 and the rig, and obviously protect the RSP2 should the rig be transmitting. Anyone any ideas on this? I don't have a technical background so go easy... :)

Reason: No reason

mikeladd

Re: Balanced Line Sharing of RSP2 with Rig. Yaesu FT 840

Post by mikeladd » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:46 pm

EastPier

Post by EastPier » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks for coming back with these links - very kind of you! The DXengineering one looks interesting.

73 Adrian

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:55 pm

No problem at all.

G3ROG

Post by G3ROG » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi Adrian

As a newbie to SDR I recommend you use it in listening mode for some time before transmitting into the antenna!. I have been licensed for 55 years and will probably spend the next 6 months using my newly purchased RSP2 to check out RFI sources in the shack. The first RFI problem has already arisen with the Switched Mode 13.8 V shack supply!

To do this, the DB Gain review recommends putting the balanced feed into the Hi Impedance (green) connector.

Then sort out the required RF sensing arrangements, otherwise you are in great danger of stuffing 100 watts into the RSP2.

Its possible to design a RF sensing Change over switch but most Amateurs would use a commercial box, the lowest cost being the ELAD, available directly from Italy or the same price (about £105) from Martin Lynch, highly recommended by many users.

73 Geoff G3ROG

Last edited by G3ROG on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

EastPier

Post by EastPier » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 pm

G3ROG wrote:Hi Adrian

As a newbie to SDR I recommend you use it in listening mode for some time before transmitting into the antenna!. I have been licensed for 55 years and will probably spend the next 6 months using my newly purchased RSP2 to check out RFI sources in the shack. The first RFI problem has already arisen with the Switched Mode 13.8 V shack supply!

To do this, the DB Gain review recommends putting the balanced feed into the Hi Impedance (green) connector.

Then sort out the required RF sensing arrangements, otherwise you are in great danger of stuffing 100 watts into the RSP2.

Its possible to design a RF sensing Change over switch but most Amateurs would use a commercial box, the lowest cost being the ELAD, available directly from Italy or the same price (about £105) from Martin Lynch, highly recommended by many users.

73 Geoff G3ROG

Thanks a lot Geoff, I will check out the Elad.

73 Adrian EI9HAB