RF gain setting

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
pgoelz

RF gain setting

Post by pgoelz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:10 pm

When I change bands / antenna inputs, the RF gain slider sometimes changes and I have yet to figure out why this is. My testing seems to indicate it is simply a manual setting stored per antenna input but I could swear I have seen it change to a different (and sometimes inappropriate) value on the same antenna input. I always notice it after the fact, so I have yet to relate effect to cause......

The manual does not seem to speak to this issue.... does anyone out there know what controls the RF gain slider? Is it simply a manual setting per antenna input, or is it doing something intelligent in the background?

Paul

Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: RF gain setting

Post by Tech_Support » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Different bands have different numbers of RF gain steps. Similarly, on the RSP2, the Hi-Z port has a different number of RF gain steps than ports A and B below 30 MHz. It's down to the hardware architecture of the RSP.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

pgoelz

Re: RF gain setting

Post by pgoelz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Yes, I have observed that the number of steps changes with the antenna or band. But that is NOT what I am talking about. I find that a setting somewhere in the middle of the range is good for all bands and all antennas and I leave the RF gain set there. However, every once in a while I will select a memory channel or start the program and observe the RF gain slider is nowhere near the middle.... sometimes it is all the way up or down. And I can guarantee I did NOT put it there.

I have done some further testing and I believe this is something for the support system..... I will open a ticket.

Paul