SDRPlay and Linx 8 tablet

General discussions
Malj

SDRPlay and Linx 8 tablet

Post by Malj » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Does anybody have SDRPlay working with Linx 8 tablet?

When loading driver get message,

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Mirics FlexiTV (MSi2500)

This operation requires an interactive window station.

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Mal
Last edited by Malj on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

ToymasterUK

Re: SDRPlay and Linx 8 tablet

Post by ToymasterUK » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:57 am

Mal
That's interesting as I have the same problem with an ASUS Windows 8 Transformer Tablet, which I spent ages trying to resolve including reloading the driver after a complete Win 8 reload without any success. Other SDR devices that I have work fine with the ASUS and the SDRPlay works fine on my other Win 8 notebook.

My next move was to investigate the Mimics driver as there were indications towards the inf file, but then I gave up and now use my Funcube Pro+ instead on the ASUS.

Still prefer the SDRPlay and use it on my older Vista laptop for HF and below and so would like to see a solution so I could be more portable with it when away from home.

Support tried to help but were unable to reproduce the problem at that time.

Not saying your problem is the same but I did get the same message.

Keep us posted..
Adrian
Last edited by ToymasterUK on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Malj

Post by Malj » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Thank you for the reply Adrian.

Not sure if there is a working solution for the Linx tablet and SDRPlay.
Right now I am using RTLSDR with HF converter with my Linx 8 tablet but would have preferred the SDRPlay as performance and portability is much better. Thought about the FUNCube but find the 192kHz bandwidth too limiting for my usage.
Still, the SDRPlay is a find addition to my shack PC and very much enjoy its use.

Regards,
Mal

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am

We have been able to reproduce the error on a Windows 8.1 tablet and have fed the information back to Mirics.

If we are able to receive a working driver from them we'll let you know on here.

If you can post some details here of any tablet that the current driver does work on that would be helpful.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

wd9ewk

Post by wd9ewk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 pm

sdrplay wrote:We have been able to reproduce the error on a Windows 8.1 tablet and have fed the information back to Mirics.

If we are able to receive a working driver from them we'll let you know on here.

If you can post some details here of any tablet that the current driver does work on that would be helpful.
I have tried to use my new SDRplay with two MicroCenter WinBook tablets (TW800, TW100). Both with Windows 8.1 with all Microsoft updates installed, and I get the same message in the pop-up as reported here for both tablets. These are similar to the Linx 8 tablet mentioned here, but sold in the US. The TW800 has 1 GB RAM, 16 GB internal storage, and an 8-inch display. The TW100 has 2 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage, and a 10.1-inch screen. Both have 64 GB microSD cards installed. It doesn't appear to matter if I install the SDRplay software on the internal storage (C: drive) or the microSD card (D: drive) on either tablet.

More information on these two tablets can be found at:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4375 ... et_-_Black
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4374 ... et_-_Black

Any update from Mirics?

Thanks!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
Last edited by wd9ewk on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:13 am

Mirics are still investigating the issue with Windows 8.1 on tablets.

Just to be clear this is an issue for Windows tablets only. We hope to have some more information soon.

Best regards,

SDRplay
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Malj

Post by Malj » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:51 am

Hi,
Downloaded the new Windows driver (V1.5.0) and now able to use SDRPlay on my Linx 8 tablet.
Many thanks for the excellent support, very much appreciated.
Regards,
Mal

eckrot

Post by eckrot » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi,

unfortunately I cannot get it installed on my HP 7 Stream. The AVAST does always prevent the installation of the Mirics driver. I tried to disable it, I told the scanner that it shall not check these files, but that does not work, Deep Screen guard is going to check the driver install exe but never finishes it. It seems to be an AVAST problem. I do not want to uninstall and install it again ... Does anybody out there have a similar problem with virus scanners?

Eckhard
Last edited by eckrot on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

wd9ewk

Post by wd9ewk » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:07 pm

sdrplay wrote:Mirics are still investigating the issue with Windows 8.1 on tablets.

Just to be clear this is an issue for Windows tablets only. We hope to have some more information soon.

Best regards,

SDRplay
As I posted in another part of the forum, the new v1.5.0 API is working fine on my Windows tablets - now at Windows 10 Home. An 8-inch HP Stream 8 tablet with 1 GB RAM, and a WinBook TW100 tablet with 2 GB RAM. Both had "Windows 8.1 with Bing" when I received my SDRplay last month. On the weekend, I will try the SDRplay with HDSDR as my downlink receiver to work some amateur satellites, transmitting from an FT-817ND. The front-end filtering in the SDRplay should make it usable while I transmit from the FT-817ND, and the SDRplay should be able to do (at least) as well as a FUNcube Dongle Pro+ with HDSDR and either of these tablets.

Thanks!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK

wd9ewk

Post by wd9ewk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi!

I had time over the weekend to se eif I could make the SDRplay work as a downlink receiver for amateur satellites, as part of my full-duplex station (transmitting from a Yaesu FT-817ND). After tweaking some settings for the SDRplay, I was able to hear myself through the FUNcube-1 (AO-73) satellite, and worked two stations. I posted this in a thread on the QRZ.com satellite forum:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thread ... st-3584436

SDRplay even listed this on their blog page, and retweeted what I put on Twitter about this. Thanks!

The settings i listed at that link should work for anyone using the SDRplay on any Windows PC, not just the tablets. Of course, a desktop or laptop computer (or even some tablets) with more memory and more powerful CPUs should have an easier time doing this. I was using my HP Stream 8, an 8-inch tablet with Windows 10 Home that has 1 GB RAM and the same Intel Atom Z3735 CPU that many of these tablets have. I also have a 10-inch tablet with that CPU, but more memory (2 GB RAM). It also does well for amateur satellite work, but I like the smaller form factor of the 8-inch tablet.

I have liked using HDSDR with these tablets. Everything is in one place, and I can use the mouse wheel like a tuning knob. Sometimes that is easier than clicking on the waterfall display, then fine-tuning if I didn't click on the right spot. Then again, I'm using these tablets more like very small laptops, instead of all of the new touch-ready apps that Microsoft has been pushing for them.

Good luck!
Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK