Scanner?

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
NoelC

Scanner?

Post by NoelC » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:02 am

I keep hoping a new version will be able to scan a preset group of frequencies, locking on the first one that has a signal that breaks the squelch.

Could 1.2 be that version? I haven't installed it yet.

-Noel

Reason: No reason

natiya

Re: Scanner?

Post by natiya » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:17 am

this would be very useful to me too!
Last edited by natiya on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

MajicM

Post by MajicM » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:05 pm

Sadly not!

There's a few people who thought 1.2 would have the scanning function but no, still not.

If only they'd let us write plugins for the RSP, there would be a plethora of options right now.

As it stands there's a crappy spreadsheet based way to do it :(
Last edited by MajicM on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:56 am

Here's a suggestion that may prove useful to some:
The SDRplay team are very obviously well aware of these wishes and no doubt are working on it (I'm sure the result will be well worth waiting for).
However, in the meantime, since most will probably be interested in scanning the V/UHF spectrum, purchasing and installing a cheap RTLSdr and sharing (I use a manual switch) with the appropriate antenna, running the RTLSdr using SDR# gives you a reasonable workaround.
I run both SDRuno using the RSP2 and this RTL/SDR# combination in tandem on a split screen (HF on the RSP and V/UHF on the RTL).
Just an additional observation: I tried running the extio version of uno on the RTL at the same time as uno on the RSP, which worked initially, then caused increasingly complex difficulties - it may well have been my fault, but I've abandoned this now.

natiya

Post by natiya » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:04 am

I read in the manual you can use 2 radios by opening two instances of uno. Is this right? Only 2?

And if you have 4 radios, can you run 2 instances of uno and 2 instances of sdr#, dir example?

I'd like yo find a way to detect several signals in different bands at the same time :)

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:48 pm

User Manual 2.1 - 2.3 is quite clear on this.
Using uno with the RSP and the EXTIO veersion with multiple other brand receivers should work.
When I tried it, it did work flawlessly initially, then threw up all sorts of errors in uno, which caused me to abandon this combination. However, it may work for you.
As far as I understand 2.1 - 2.3 of the user manual, it is possible to use multiple RSP's using uno, with VRX0 (the primary installation) being the master receiver, although I believe that all must operate within the range of the VREx0 LO.
Hope this may help.

natiya

Post by natiya » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:58 pm

I mean, using it with generic RTL-SDR dongles, different from RSP. I think I just gave it a try, as what I read in the manual is that you can use up to 2 radios at the same time. But then I was wondering if you can run SDR# at the same time, for a third non-RSP dongle :)

MajicM

Post by MajicM » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 am

I upgraded FROM an RTL SDR dongle to what I believed was a far superior product.

I didn't spend £200 on a device to be told that I can't get it to do what I want and to go back to the £20 option instead when I want to scan.

It was very heavily hinted at that 1.2 would contain the ability to scan so it's very disappointing to learn that it wasn't. I'm not getting the full use of my purchase because of this.

IMHO Scanning needs to be added soon OR they need to allow people to make plugins OR they need to go cap in hand to Mr SDR# begging for forgiveness so that we can continue to use the newer versions of SDR# with the device.
Last edited by MajicM on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

GM4FDM

Post by GM4FDM » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:30 pm

From what you are saying, I cannot use the SDR to scan several channels? Is this correct? I have made up my mind on one of the new RSP1As but if I cant scan, perhaps then I wont bother.
Last edited by GM4FDM on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi there
If it would be of any assistance to you in coming to a decision, both the RSP1 and apparently the RSP1A are able to scan using the well-thought of and featured SDR# programme, which is available as a plug-in via the downloads section of the SDRplay website - see: http://www.sdrplay.com/downloads/
As an RSP2 user this is currently not an option for me(although planned for a future update).
However, I am using SDR# with an inexpensive RTL receiver, which is certainly inferior to the RSP2 and am reasonably satisfied with the SDR# programme and together this set-up works pretty well, so the SDR# programme combined with a better receiver such as the RSP'S ought to provide a superior user experience.