Scanner?

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
MajicM

Re: Scanner?

Post by MajicM » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:36 pm

But that's the point Paul, I was also using an RTL-SDR v3 before. I bought a far superior device and expected the software to be able to do it.

I want to only use my RSP2 which I am very pleased with by the way, it's the just the fact the software currently is far from complete.

If only they'd allow people to write plugins them I believe there would be a proper community for SDRUno but when it's all closed off and Secret Squirrel there's no community spirit and we're at the mercy of the developers.

At least scanning is part of the roadmap now but we don't know when and what the scanning facilities will be like.

Reason: No reason

GM4FDM

Post by GM4FDM » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 pm

I would much prefer it if I could scan round say 10 channels but if I cant then I cant. But it seems a shame not to have that facility when I look at the software which seems pretty comprehensive. Too many plug ins and add ons add to the complicated-ness which in this modern day and age could easily be built in from the start - IMHO, but then again I am not a software writer - just a bottom of the heap user....... It is my intention to use the RSP1A as a remote receiver.... scanning would have been a nice add on when I am away from home.
:cry:

Tom
Last edited by GM4FDM on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Folks,
Please read the following:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2647

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

GM4FDM

Post by GM4FDM » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Yes, I did read that, but it doesnt give any indication as to when 1.3 might be issued??

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm

At the moment, there is no integrated scanner for the RSP1A, RSP1 or RSP2. This is being planned in release 1.3 of SDRuno, but we can't give a schedule for this. It depends on what problems encounter during development and there are tow interim releases planned first.
There are currently two ways to implement scanning with RSPs as we understand it. There is some kind of basic scanning function that you can use with CSVuserlistbrowser which can be used in conjunction with SDRuno. We also understand that there is a scanner plugin that works with SDR# and so if you use release 1361 or earlier (versions that support the ExtIO interface), you can use this along with the the ExtIO plugin that we provide that works for all models of the RSP.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

GM4FDM

Post by GM4FDM » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:57 pm

I understand and will look forward to it, as my technical computer knowledge is very limited.....

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Just for the record; I tried the RSP2 and EXTIO version with the SDR# revision 1361, which ran as advertised (when I finally cornered a copy).
However, I was unable to locate the Frequency Manager plug-in that works with this version, so abandoned this route.
Happy for now to wait for the real deal, especially now we've been shown the "road-map" as uno's a pretty impressive programme and the end result I'm sure will be worth waiting for (teething problems and all).

13dka

Post by 13dka » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Paul, you may find the last post in this thread

viewtopic.php?t=248

useful. That's how you get (among other useful stuff) Vasily's (sp?) "Fast Scanner" plug-in, with the name being a massive understatement. Scan speed depends a lot on IF bandwidth of course, but even with only 2MHz BW I can scan the entire VHF air band 3 times a second. Scan speed can go up to IIRC 60MHz/s at maximum BW. I imagine it might be hard to beat the functionality and speed of that thing.

natiya

Post by natiya » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:08 am

13dka wrote:Paul, you may find the last post in this thread

viewtopic.php?t=248

useful. That's how you get (among other useful stuff) Vasily's (sp?) "Fast Scanner" plug-in, with the name being a massive understatement. Scan speed depends a lot on IF bandwidth of course, but even with only 2MHz BW I can scan the entire VHF air band 3 times a second. Scan speed can go up to IIRC 60MHz/s at maximum BW. I imagine it might be hard to beat the functionality and speed of that thing.
How will this scanning functionality work more in detail? When a signal is detected in the scanned bandwidth, does it stop there? I'd be interested if it performs this and also, starts recording the signal when it's detected.

13dka

Post by 13dka » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:58 pm

It would be best to simply try it (quite easy since you can just copy as many instances of SDR# to your HDD as you want, just put them all into an individual folder). However of course it can stop at busy frequencies and has provisions to log activity time on frequencies it found. There is an "audio recorder" specifically complimenting the Fast Scanner plug-in, which records activity found while scanning, storing it into one folder per frequency. This enables you to literally walk away and have SDR# doing a complete band (or even multiple bands) survey on its own. When you're back you can evaluate the recordings and activity logs, and store interesting/identified frequencies to the stock Frequency Manager.

The one thing it doesn't do is "memory scan", that is scanning frequencies you already stored in the Frequency Manager. For that, there are probably other plug-ins available.