RSP2PRO..Its a W.I.P...Work In Progress

Post your feedback here
FleetingGlimpse

RSP2PRO..Its a W.I.P...Work In Progress

Post by FleetingGlimpse » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Greetings,
I could not resist the thrill of not welcoming the recent addition to my SDR-SIGINT (signals intelligence) World...That of the RSP2-PRO in a most dramatic fashion...A Xmas gift.. basically Santa arrived early for me .

So here is the fanfare spread.. https://twitter.com/fearlesslyloyal/sta ... 5864183808

I am almost certain one sense the palpable excitement going forward knowing all the features embodied in this particular unit based on my 'static' observations and reading of the various technical manuals associated witht he RSP2PRO.

From prior SDR testing and usage using a NooElect 0.5PPM TCXO SDR-Dongle,i am aware of certain 'irregular' RFi conditions/environments i have operated under and will continue to do..Make no bones about the matter,many of the conditions i do my monitoring and testing under are very intense and RF Laden environments.The RSP2PRO will be no diifferent.

So at this stage i am assembling/shielding/wiring various accesssories (aerial sytems..RF jumper cables..connectors etc.)that i intend to use in what i have envisioned for the unit...Basically taking pre-emptive measures to Null the effects of EMI induced interference that i have taken notes of using the METAL CASE NooElect..Not that the RSP2PRO. WOULD not overcome any such limitations..just in case whenever i commence using the unit to 'peep' into the Heavens Above.

So no doubt i intend to place the unit thru it's paces and report back via the Forum my works..along with Pics in JPEG format.

73's
Last edited by FleetingGlimpse on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

FleetingGlimpse

Re: RSP2PRO..Its a W.I.P...Work In Progress

Post by FleetingGlimpse » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Continuation......answering or Editing a post in this instance is my way of continuing the thread without starting a New Topic..as i said it is a W.I.P..Work In Progress

I would sincerely appreciate if my mentions of prior SDR work involving the NooElec Dongle is not interpreted as a form of 'competitive' rivalry..I am introduced to many other manufacturers products directly and indirectly related to the Technology of Software Defined radio,which in actuality is universal with many a Common core

The NooElec Dongle was the first unit i purchased based on affordability,which i have used extensively since to develop a 'feel' for the technology.

I have contributed to other Forums, so i am very much aware of the 'bad habits' of forum membership, such as spamming...Flaming ..trolling....the competitive rivalry between manufacturers..using the forum to launch personal vendettas etc. I hope this forum has members exhibiting less of those undesirable traits.

Also i am not a 'know it all'...i am eager to learn, and have fun whilst doing so.

It was my decision to obtain the RSP2PRO as an upgrade to my various SIGINT projects.

https://twitter.com/fearlesslyloyal/sta ... 8325935104

I have previously tweeted about my SDR Work on twitter. It is not my intention to 'Troll' using this forum..That said i think it is fair to whom it may concern in this forum,To get a 'feel' of How i roll.
Last edited by FleetingGlimpse on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

FleetingGlimpse

Post by FleetingGlimpse » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Spoiler alert..I have already done fired up my RSP2PRO Unit that was shipped to me... 8-) :D i loaded the API drivers under Windows10 and did a basic verification of Software interaction with the unit ..i am still yet to perform a detailed test of the hardware and software...so far so good.

With the NooElec. SDR stick, i tried a few of the available SDR Software. some worked,others i had problems getting the Dongle and Software to interactively function as they should.

Here is one those 'FIRST TIME' loads results:
https://twitter.com/fearlesslyloyal/sta ... 3046181890

I am still getting acquainted with SDR Console V3 and SDRUNO ..any non-seamless hitches or glitches that i cannot solve,i will seek help from the forum..you can bet on that Forreal

FleetingGlimpse

Post by FleetingGlimpse » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 am

I would also use the NooElec SDR dongle to listen to the various FM Radio stations whenever i am Nomadic, travelling thru the Central Florida region.
For the sake of future reference i would screen grab the FFT's and archive them in my data base....In this case i have tweeted prior what Power 95.3 FM & 'The Wolf' 103.1FM all located in Orlando Florida looked like under SDRSharp software.

I would 'play around' with the menu options and verify what changes occurred .
In so doing i am know able to subject any other brand of SDR to similar tests,and then compare results etc. etc..So i will publish my results,and let you all,including SDRPlay support,observe the units performance.

https://twitter.com/fearlesslyloyal/sta ... 2448467970

I addition to FM broadcasts,i also utilize the SDR Stick in my bench testing routine..I have various fixed frequency TXCO modules which i use to verify frequency calibration accuracies etc.

https://twitter.com/fearlesslyloyal/sta ... 1331604485

I found that the accuracy of my frequency readouts were more within 'specs' after the unit had warmed up for a period of time, a suggested routine to adhere to for any SDR Device.

I have great plans for the RSP2PRO...WATCH THIS SPACE

FleetingGlimpse

Post by FleetingGlimpse » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:53 pm

I am getting quite familiar with SDRuno and my RSP2PRO.With a few exceptions.

I like the layout of the software and how it is designed especially for the RSP series in comparison to the ubiquitous SDRSharp,which is awesome in it's own rights as a universal SDRDongle interface.

I have a few questions:

Has any one attempted using a USB extension cable thereby facilitating mounting the RSP2PRO at the headend of a Satellite Dish feed and then connecting to the Computers USB port for signal processing? A wired 'remote' link config.?

Also is the TMATE2 USB Tuning System Directly compatible with the RSP2PRO and SDRUno? http://shop.elad-usa.com/console/tmate2 ... ng-system/

FleetingGlimpse

Post by FleetingGlimpse » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:05 am

Greetings,
The purchase receipt for my unit was itemized as such:
SDRpaly RSP2 PRO 10kHz - 2000Mhz Wideband SDR Receiver (Metal Case)- New!

For the records,The NooElec SDRStick i bought. also was metal clad, in

a Black colored case..so was my RSP2 Pro unit...So please don't read too much in that observation of mine,other than just stating a few true facts. :D and well at least cosmetically, both units same color. :)

Anyway, here is the final display of my logging of the FM Broacast spectrum as a test specimen, using my first SDR STICK, A NooElec under the control of SDRSharp:

https://twitter.com/fearlesslyloyal/sta ... 9265448960

I have already done tested my RSP2 Pro using the FM Broadcast spectrum. The RDS Decoder works with a few unique lines of decoded telemetry. I am happy with those results. However that is not my intended plans for the unit.

I completed a 'Fast-N-Go' long wire antenna to commence testing on the 'low freqs.' using the embedded Hi-Z antenna port.

As matter of completeness, i am very much familiar with an early version of Software Defined Radio from a service perspective..The Motorola RSS
Radio Programming Software which ran on MS-DOS or PC-DOS version 5.x or 6.x on a slow computer with a real COM port.

As i said folks,each test that i place My RSP2 PRO Thru,convinces me i made the right choice thus far..for the Price vs performance.

And of utmost importance i having fun doing so,THAT'S WHAT REALLY MATTERS AND ALWAYS WILL BE.

Best Regards, 73's , Storming Norm

P:S..As Pink Floyd says.. "I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye" Isn't that what SIGINT is all about? :D

FleetingGlimpse

Post by FleetingGlimpse » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:56 pm

Here are the results of reception on the AM Broadcast Spectrum using my RSP2 PRO with a no frills loop antenna on the Hi-Z antenna port.

https://twitter.com/fearlesslyloyal/sta ... 7009308673

I had to document this because this was my first ever reception of HF using SDR Technology...I am also a licensed amateur Radio Operator..3 call signs..one from the age of 19 Years.

Watch this space....BTW Happy Holidays to members of the forum.

FleetingGlimpse

Post by FleetingGlimpse » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:01 pm

I have been using the RSP2-PRO to monitor a few frequencies. used for NOAA weather satellites 137.5Mhz and also 1.707Ghz for local terrestrial interference.

From prior SDR Stick use, I have seen quite a few cases of RFI from local terrestrial emissons.So i have been 'looking' at the spectrum around many a frequencies of interest from various Geo-locations that i hope to dedicate the RSP2-PRO to.

One of the problems that i can discern so thus far,is that ONE RSP2-PRO May not suffice for the all stuff i have lined up in my head to monitor. 8-) :) :D :D I guess not such a bad complaint after all Uhhh? ( smiles!)

Kindest Regards, Storminorm

FleetingGlimpse

Post by FleetingGlimpse » Thu May 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Greetings,
I have been subjecting my RSP2Pro unit to a myriad of signal monitoring configurations. It is definitely not a 'Toy' in the true sense of the word..a very professional unit capable of being 'suited' for a wide range of purposes.

Basically i am still getting familiarized with the various Software/Hardware Quirks.

I intend to go thru my work thus far involving the RSP2Pro that i have documented, and post a few pictures of the 'Works'

Curious.How do i get SDRSHARP to recognize The RSP2Pro or vice versa? so far i have been unable to get it to function under SDR.

It would be nice to be able to compare the workings under SDRUNO & SDRSHARP.

Best Regards, Storminorm

.....Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. Heraclitus

Roger

Post by Roger » Thu May 17, 2018 5:06 pm

SDRSharp took the decision some time ago to no longer allow RSP devices to work with their software. You will have to find an old version of SDRSharp if you want to use this software. From memory I recall that version 1361 was the last compatible one.