SDRPlay and SDR-J (Linux)

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
pebol

SDRPlay and SDR-J (Linux)

Post by pebol » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:23 pm

As I had some problems making gr-osmosdr I have installed SDR-J instead. Installing the Linux API was ok, libmirsdrapi-rsp.so does exist in /usr/local/lib/. However, SDR-J can not find it. Does anyone here have an idea what could be wrong?

Peter
Last edited by pebol on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: SDRPlay and SDR-J (Linux)

Post by sdrplay » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi Peter,

Try linking the .so to /usr/local/lib/libmirsdrapi-rsp-x86_64-1.1.so as that's what the manual refers to. The source code available is for Windows so doesn't tell us very much. Let me know if you are still struggling and I'll ask Jan directly to confirm.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

AH6DL

Post by AH6DL » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:39 pm

I've had good luck with SDR-J. It has been a while since I installed, it, but I recall I had to manually link the library as sdrplay suggested.

You might also need to do an "sudo ldconfig -a" on the directory where you have the Miric's libraries installed if anything is changed after the installation program was run.

...Doug AH6DL
Last edited by AH6DL on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

amish

Post by amish » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:32 am

Hi Peter,

The above method will solve you problem but it is not advised to make a link as it could lead to problems during upgrade.

The simplest way is to type (in bash shell)

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

assuming /usr/local/lib contains your library.

To make it permanent you can edit ~/.bash_profile and add the following lines

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
export $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Amish
Last edited by amish on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
VU2AIE

AB3XU

Post by AB3XU » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Peter,

I believe what I did to solve the problem of missing libraries was to create /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf and put in the local directories that weren't being looked at by ldconfig. This is with Fedora, your directory structure may differ.

My /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf.

Code: Select all

/usr/local/lib/
/usr/local/lib64/
/usr/local/lib/phoneflashtoollite
Notice the last line, that's because ldconfig does not search recursively; not what I expected.

Amish, I think setting LD_Path_Library in .bashrc or similar conf file is also not advised because it could mess with the libraries other apps or utilities are expecting to find. I read the recommendation is to start with a wrapper file that sets the environment for just that application.

73, digger
Last edited by AB3XU on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

amish

Post by amish » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:51 am

Hi Digger,

We are perhaps missing the basic design of these different directory structure. The file is deliberately put in /usr/local/lib so that ldconfig does not find it. The developer of the library decides where to put it.

Also setting the environment variable will not effect the existing library path. This is the only option when you do not have superuser permisssion.

We may be using Linux as a single user setup, but remember Linux is designed to support multiusers and we do not want to change the environment of the other users.
Last edited by amish on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
VU2AIE

AB3XU

Post by AB3XU » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Hey Amish,

Sorry, but looking at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-H ... aries.html and http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE23 that's not how I interpret the use of /usr/local/l and ld.conf.

In part /usr/local/ is meant to isolate files from the distributions files to make them "safe from being overwritten when the system software is updated."
It's not to isolate them from the systems users. One of *nix strong points is it's built as a multi-user system to start with and that's exactly why I would make locally installed packages available to all users.

Also I'm basing what I said about LD_LIBRARY_PATH on a search of the internet. One of the often sited articles https://blogs.oracle.com/ali/entry/avoi ... y_path_the doesn't even recommend using a wrapper.

But in the end most of us at home are using *nix as a single user system and sometimes the only way we seem to get things to work is with baling wire and chewing gum.

digger
Last edited by AB3XU on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

pebol

Post by pebol » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Peter
Last edited by pebol on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.