MW Breakthrough

General discussions
g1hbe

Re: MW Breakthrough

Post by g1hbe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:40 pm

Wow Gazzman, I'd never heard of the Wellbrook 1010. It seems to be basically similar to the 1530 but optimised for lower frequencies. It probably performs like the 1530 as well, as I find my 1530 gets a bit wooden above 10 MHz and works best at low frequencies.
I thought I lived in a challenging RF environment, but your situation sounds pretty grim. I'd agree that earthing (including getting rid of earth loops in the aerial/feeder systems) and decoupling with ferrites is a good starting point.
OK on your background. I was a radio & TV bench engineer for over 20 years, then ran a small two-man electronics firm until we were taken to the cleaners by two non-payers at the same time. What a period that was! I'm sort-of retired now and just write the odd article for hobby radio mags. I've run out of things to write about now, but I have one article about building a loop antenna currently pending at Radio User.
Good luck with it all (sounds like you'll need it!) and I'm sure we'd all like to know how you get on.

Reason: No reason
Andy

gazzzman

Post by gazzzman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 am

Hi Everyone!
well.. I was hoping for better news,,,but,
I installed the loop in the loft (Don't ask LOL)
it's not the ideal place, but it is the "only" place.
it really hasn't improved anything :(
there is still BCB interference "everywhere"
FM band is usable (Barely) only for strong local stuff
AM band appears to be in a state of constant overload
AGC has little or no effect
often the FM/AM filter makes things worse
so, the only remaining possibility I can see is..
I have bought a HPF (2Mhz cutoff) for the discone input
but I think I am going to need a tunable notch filter for the loop input?
anyone got any other ideas?
or any idea where I can but a tunable MW notch filter (or maybe some plans)
or maybe I should just attenuate the loop?
or any other thoughts... this was the reason for buying the RSP2 I always expected it to be a lot better than the RTL I had before, but thus far, there is little difference
Gazzzman
Last edited by gazzzman on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

gazzzman

Post by gazzzman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:07 am

Hi Andy! sorry, didn't see your reply before my last moan LOL
I think I better buy a HRO LOL
while I understand my situation is "challenging" I see SDR is just no match in ut's current form, for traditional receiver tech
it seems the ADC has a "very" limited window of operation
the versatility, is superb, and in an ideal environment I imagine they work very well!
though, I have seen very little evidence of it thus far
I think ultimately the real answer is a composite, with a good quality analogue front end (probably based round a "real" triode :)
and as much real tunable preselection as you can muster (yes, it makes a mockery of some of the best features)
but so far my old Sony 7600D does better than "any" of the rather limited selection of SDRs I have tried
and, the Electronics trade Andy, is all but dead :(
but that is something to moan about elsewhere!
at least Plasmas are dying out (much better for AM that way LOL)
now if only the world was rid of ethernet over mains, and SMPs things would be SO much better!
Oh and a new band for WiFi above 10GHz to stop interference in built up areas...
look at me rambling again!
bring back the EF50 I say LOL
love and peace Gazzzman
Last edited by gazzzman on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.