WX Sat Reception Question

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
KA1OWC

WX Sat Reception Question

Post by KA1OWC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:54 am

Hi: I am using an RSP-1 and SDRuno to attempt to receive WX satellite photos...Most of my pictures are full of some sort of artifact that I cannot identify...I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the setting in SDRuno that I should be using...I realize that every setup is different, but I am wondering if there are any common denominators that may help me? Could I be overdriving the reception? Should the volume into the decoding software (WXtoIMG) be higher or lower...Is it better to overdrive a bit or under drive? I have been running at about 50% volume...If I go below about 40% no image at all appears...Above 50% and the artifact appears...Any basic suggestions or guidance will be most welcome! Is there an easier program to begin with than WXtoIMG?...Thanks for your advice!

Steve KA1OWC

Reason: No reason
Steve Ziegler
KA1OWC
Lieutenant Colonel (Ret)
United States Army

Mike2459

Re: WX Sat Reception Question

Post by Mike2459 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:28 am

It sounds like sound enhancement is enabled in your soundcard. It is enabled by default on some systems. I have a Creative soundcard, on it the special effects are called EAX effects. They must be disabled when decoding FAX or any other digital signals.

There is a level meter on the lower right side in Wxtoimg. I try to keep it in the green zone. You can run a manual recording test by recording background noise using the mode and bandwidth settings normally used for reception. The background noise will be a slightly greater amplitude than actual Sat signal reception. I usually try to keep it around 60-70%.
Last edited by Mike2459 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

KA1OWC

Post by KA1OWC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Should I have agc and lna active? Thanks!

Steve Ziegler
KA1OWC
Lieutenant Colonel (Ret)
United States Army

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:31 pm

I usually leave AGC off - it doesn't seem to make much difference.

The LNA gain is something you'll have to tinker with. I usually have it set to maximum but back it off one click if there is any overload. I also have an inline LNA mounted at the antenna - It's a Radio Shack TV antenna signal booster.
Last edited by Mike2459 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

ToryGlenn

Post by ToryGlenn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:44 pm

What do I need to do within WXtoIMG to get 'sound' coming into it from my RSP1A?? I am new to that program and cannot find much support for it anywhere.

If anyone can tell me how to set it up, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Last edited by ToryGlenn on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Run Wxtoimg. Select File----Mixer Control in Wxtoimg. Your PC's list of recording options will appear. If 'What You Hear' or 'Stereo Mix' is not shown, it is either not supported or disabled. See this link to enable it (if disabled):

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/h ... ord-audio/
Mixer Control.JPG
Mixer Control.JPG (28.99 KiB) Viewed 27151 times

If Stereo Mix or What you hear is not supported by your sound card you can still use VBCable: https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/

RSP2user

Post by RSP2user » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:14 pm

There have been answers to many of your questions already posted on the SDRplay Forum at: https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewt ... f=5&t=2529 . This article will assist you in improving APT reception for NOAA satellites.

ToryGlenn

Post by ToryGlenn » Fri May 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Hello, the other question I have relates to WxToImg and CubicSDR. I was reading something in the info of WxToImg that the satellite signals are in Narrow FM mode, however, when I select that option, i get nothing but static even when one of the NOAA satellites are within reception range. but if I select LSB, the signal can be easily heard. Do I need to change some setting in CubicSDR for the signal to be heard in NFM??? Maybe change the IF or something else?

Also, what is the purpose of the 'center frequency' in Cubic SDR?? I found some webpage that explains how to change the center frequency, but it does NOT explain the function of the center frequency.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by ToryGlenn on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

RSP2user

Post by RSP2user » Fri May 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Narrow band FM mode is too narrow, if using SDRuno. To properly receive the FM signal from NOAA orbital weather satellites, taking into account Doppler shift during the pass plus the bandwidth of the signal, you should have a bandwidth setting on your receiver of around 50kHz. In SDRuno, this is achieved by selecting WFM and then slightly narrowing the bandwidth from 60kHz to around 50kHz in the AUX SP window (select and drag the edge of the shown bandwidth area). Also, WXtoIMG generally requires the audio output from the receiver software (e.g., SDRuno or equivalent) to be looped back to the audio input so that WXtoIMG can receive it. This type of setup is discussed in detail here: https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewt ... f=5&t=2529
NOAA19 pass SDRuno RSP2 2a.jpg
NOAA19 pass SDRuno RSP2 2a.jpg (220.67 KiB) Viewed 26633 times