SDRuno on Linux

Post your feedback here
Paul47

SDRuno on Linux

Post by Paul47 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:05 am

I got an RSP1 a while back, and only with great difficulty managed to get CubicSDR running. It was so difficult I put it on a flash drive with Lubuntu rather than trying to get it working on my main Linux laptop (which I didn't want to break with all the experimenting necessary).

I want to make an appeal for SDRuno on Linux. It seems to me SDR is for hobbyists. Then, what is the hobbyist operating system? Linux, not Windows. What's more, linux generates a much lower CPU load than Windows does especially with the need for virus checking on the latter, which in turn leaves more processing power for doing FFTs and such.

I imagine SDRuno is going to be a much better fit with RSP1 than Cubic SDR is, never mind the insane difficulty installing the latter. I'd be in the market for an RSP2 but won't pull the trigger if it means more torture dealing with CubicSDR. And I sure don't want to spend any more of my life dealing with Windows; I am done with it.

Please consider adding Ubuntu support for SDRuno.

Reason: No reason

n1kgy

Re: SDRuno on Linux

Post by n1kgy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:06 am

Please allow me to second this request. I've been a licensed ham since 1991, have had my extra since 2000. Bought an Icom PCR-1500 in 2000 and expected way more than I got. Got bored with the hobby in about 2005 and took a 10 year break from doing much with radio, but did a number of things with computers - and I found that Linux is the way to go for all kinds of hobby activities - the Open-Source, user oriented community is a limitless landscape, as opposed to the corporate Microsoft box you are otherwise stuck in. It's not even about cost for me - I can afford whatever I want (within reason). Linux just gives me more control, more flexibility in terms of how I spend the resources on a particular computer.

One example is re-purposing and older laptop into an earthquake detector - the pendulum magnet and pickup coil are connected to the "Mic" input... but then comes the magic of being able to separate noise from actual seismic events, which take a good amount of CPU for the FFT and resonance recognition. My choice was use an older laptop and Linux, or a $2000 new one with Windows-7. Since this isn't going to be a general-purpose computer, it doesn't need a general-purpose OS with all the bloat. With Linux I repurposed a laptop I already had, and built a custom install that spends its resources on just two things - detecting tremors and recording the bearing and magnitude, and serving that data via webserver, so I can connect to it from any other system and look at the data.

A friend of mine saw what I had done, and copied my idea - but his records radiological data (Geiger counter output)...and he's doing it with a Raspberry Pi, not even an old laptop. Neither of these systems needs 'Plug-and-Pray' support for a world's worth of miscellaneous hardware, nor should have to have anti-virus software which eats CPU time (and needs to be kept updated), nor does it need a GUI desktop, a built-in web-browser, or any of the other bloat that you can't strip out of Windows.

I would very much like to see a trimmed down version of SDRuno that can run under Linux on a Raspberry Pi-2B or Pi-3, which would make the SDRplay a truly portable and therefore incredibly useful system for me as a ham. I've just purchased two of the RSP-2 units and am having a great time... except that I am limited to the one Windows system I own for using SDRuno. Soapy is ok to a point, but it just isn't the same in terms of integration with the SDRplay hardware.

PLEASE.

Thanks

Chuck
n1kgy
Last edited by n1kgy on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

deadite66

Post by deadite66 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:14 am

+1 from me also.

Linux is my main os, i only have windows installed to play some games these days.

RSP2 Pro and RSP1A owner.

octave9

Post by octave9 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 pm

There should be some kind of award for anyone who gets CubicSDR running on ubuntu/Linux. I gave up and I know Linux pretty well, or thought I did. So - well done Paul47 :)

Would really like to see SDRUno working on Linux. I use Mint 18 for everything except one particular game/sim I play on Windows. Hoping I can run Uno on that (if necessary) and connect from Mint via RDP with Remmina. SDRUno would need to work without Aero, or that's out too.

It was a mention of a doc. to help users of non MS platforms which convinced me to buy (I was pretty convinced before that though, TBH).

Using an RTL dongle and up converter currently. It's good, but...
Last edited by octave9 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:07 am

http://www.sdrplay.com/downloads - check out the non-Windows document under the App Notes documents section. This is a working document and will be updated regularly.

SDRplay Support

octave9

Post by octave9 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks. Looks easy. Easier than my previous try to get CubicSDR working anyway.

I'll report how it goes when my RSP2 arrives. Should be this week.

One thing I noticed is that lines like:

git clone https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDRPlay.git ./SoapySDRPlay

paste (to the cli) like:

g
it
clone
https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDRPlay.git
./SoapySDRPlay

Other command lines seem to paste that way too...

ETA: some lines need two hyphens in the cli. Your "SoapySDRUtil –find" has a single en dash. (two en dashes don't work either). Happy to help by PM, or email if you prefer... Thanks again.
Last edited by octave9 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Re: copy/paste - I suspect it's a browser thing? I can see differences depending on whether I use Chrome or MS Edge - however both copy/paste fine for me into either PuTTY or Virtual Machine.

I'll update the single dash issue - thanks.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

deadite66

Post by deadite66 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:08 pm

I've followed the build on The CubicSDR page previously.
https://github.com/cjcliffe/CubicSDR/wiki/Build-Linux

some problems i've had is with liquid-dsp and vsync crippling the framerate of cubic.

the latter remedied by running Cubic with __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 /usr/bin/CubicSDR

another long running problem i still have with cubic is it will start to get sluggish trying to change frequencies after it's been running a while, perhaps as little as 15 minutes.

RSP2 Pro and RSP1A owner.

octave9

Post by octave9 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:37 pm

sdrplay wrote:Re: copy/paste - I suspect it's a browser thing? I can see differences depending on whether I use Chrome or MS Edge - however both copy/paste fine for me into either PuTTY or Virtual Machine.
You're right. I use FireFox and if I copy from its rendering of the .pdf I get line-feeds in some very odd places. Download the file and copy from Xreader and it's fine.

octave9

Post by octave9 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:22 am

Nope. Same errors as last time I tried to install CubicSDR, which isn't surprising because the instructions are almost identical to those I used before. Went as far as editing CMakeList.txt which made it go a bit further.

My current hunch is that the wxWidgets-staticlib directory should be in wxWidgets-3.1.0 and not along side it, but I need some sleep. Here's how it has gone after a fresh new build of wxWidgets (only difference is I use 'SDR-Dev' instead of 'Dev'):

Code: Select all

john@Mint-18 ~/SDR-Dev $ git clone https://github.com/cjcliffe/CubicSDR.git ./CubicSDR
Cloning into './CubicSDR'...
remote: Counting objects: 10267, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (18/18), done.
remote: Total 10267 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 10249
Receiving objects: 100% (10267/10267), 89.39 MiB | 6.48 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (7865/7865), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
john@Mint-18 ~/SDR-Dev $ cd CubicSDR
john@Mint-18 ~/SDR-Dev/CubicSDR $ mkdir build
john@Mint-18 ~/SDR-Dev/CubicSDR $ cd build
john@Mint-18 ~/SDR-Dev/CubicSDR/build $ cmake ../ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DwxWidgets_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE=~/SDR-Dev/wxWidgets-staticlib/bin/wx-config
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 5.4.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 5.4.0
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
64 bit compiler detected
-- Found OpenGL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so  
-- Found LIQUID: /usr/local/lib/libliquid.so  
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindwxWidgets.cmake:858 (message):
  wxWidgets wx/version.h file not found in
  /home/john/SDR/home/john/SDR-pthread.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:163 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/john/SDR-Dev/CubicSDR/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
The "wxWidgets wx/version.h file not found in /home/john/SDR/home/john/SDR-pthread." is weird. I've never had a folder called SDR iirc.

It gets further if I put a line near the top of Cubic's CMakeList.txt like:

set(wxWidgets_CONFIG_OPTIONS --toolkit=base --prefix=/home/john/SDR-Dev/wxWidgets-staticlib)

Then:

Code: Select all

john@Mint-18 ~/SDR-Dev/CubicSDR/build $ cmake ../ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DwxWidgets_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE=~/SDR-Dev/wxWidgets-staticlib/bin/wx-config
64 bit compiler detected
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:148 (message):
  Could NOT find wxWidgets (missing: wxWidgets_LIBRARIES
  wxWidgets_INCLUDE_DIRS)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:388 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindwxWidgets.cmake:887 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  CMakeLists.txt:165 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/john/SDR-Dev/CubicSDR/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
Had to stitch the long cmake lines together...

Maybe I'll try it on a fresh VM next, but won't be for a while.