S-METER READING

Post your feedback here
glenncos

S-METER READING

Postby glenncos » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:15 pm

I think Im doing something wrong, Im receiving booming signals and s-meter reads 5/6, i receive mediocre signals and s-meter reads 5/8..and I scratch my head.

Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: S-METER READING

Postby sdrplay » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:12 am

The RSP IFAGC will always try to increase the signal level into the ADC without introducing overload by adjusting the IF gain. When you are looking at different signal levels, look at the gain value in the top right corner of the Main Window to see what the AGC is doing.

Best regards,

Andy

SDRnerd

Re: S-METER READING

Postby SDRnerd » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:17 am

That is why I do not use automatic IF-agc. Mostly setting it on -40 dB manual since I started using SDRplay models. Also its the SNR that is most important. S-meters are just a indication, but offers little value to me. I mostly use a external variable attenuator with 5 dB steps up to 65 dB to avoid overdriving the agc. Also using auto IF-agc bounces the noise base level wich I do not like and you can almost not measure exact signal levels. Ok, it will "protect" the adc in some way, but it is not the ideal solution but its rather a lazy operator approach in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents

Return to “New Users' experiences”