Purchase contemplated - SDRPlay / SDRUno / CW Skimmer / Win 10

Post your feedback here
Lasithi773

Purchase contemplated - SDRPlay / SDRUno / CW Skimmer / Win 10

Post by Lasithi773 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi,

I've had several weeks of using RTL-SDR V3 & SDRSharp, the former given to me by a friend, but I am now looking to purchase SDRPlay RSP1A (with SDRUno 1.3x as I need to supply IQ output to CW Skimmer. I will be using the combination purely for the HF amateur bands. Antenna is a random long wire.

My question: Is there any great advanatge, given my use as an SWL on these bands, in spending the extra required on an RSP2 or RSP2Pro - e.g. extra sensitivity? I do not need to run multiple receivers and this is a standalone Rx only situation with a new (this year) computer.

I would appreciate your frank opinions before making the purchase. Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by Lasithi773 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

glovisol

Re: Purchase contemplated - SDRPlay / SDRUno / CW Skimmer / Win 10

Post by glovisol » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:17 am

The RSP2pro is electrically identical to the RSP2 which is our enhanced version of the popular RSP1 which provides three software selectable antenna inputs, & additional stability and clocking features ideally suited to industrial, scientific & educational applications.
Hi there,

As shown in the text above by SDRplay, the main difference between RSP2 and RSP2 PRO is the case. The RSP2 is housed in a plastic case internally shielded by a thin metal layer. The RSP2PRO is housed in a very solid steel case. The choice depends on the environment you are in. If you foresee strong Broadcast Band MW, or strong FM Broacasting signals being locally present, then the better shielding of the PRO will be an advantage. Remember that if you go for the RSP2 you can later purchase a steel case on Ebay, as necessary.

Lasithi773

Post by Lasithi773 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:32 am

Many thanks for your information. Now, given that my sole use for the dongle is for SWL listening on the HF ham bands, do you consider the extra expenditure of an RSP2 over an RSP1A is justified? I'm grateful for users' opinions because I have no experience of the SDRPlay range.
Last edited by Lasithi773 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

M0RON

Post by M0RON » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:20 pm

As you asked about the main difference between a rsp1a and the rsp2 or pro, the main difference is the antenna connection.
The rsp2's have a high Z port which may be useful for swl as well as the sma port.
Andy

Lasithi773

Post by Lasithi773 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks Andy, that could be useful to me.

Maurice

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Choosing between an RSP-1A and an RSP2 is not a simple matter, because there are the following factors to consider.

1) The RSP-1A is a more modern design (higher A/D dnamic range) but has just one coaxial input. The sensitivity of this receiver is lower at LW/MW frequencies, say between 100 and 800 KHz. This should be of no consequence if you use a good antenna and/or stay in the Ham Bands, e.g. never lower than 1.7 MHz. If additionally you wish to use the new Spectrum Analyser software, the RSP-1A gives excellent service.

2) The RSP2 sports 3 inputs, two coxial and a HI Z balanced. If you go and patiently look at my posts you will see the reason why I consider this a fantastic asset for 0 to 29 MHz reception: superior sensitivity and if you know how to exploit this advantage, you can get a very significant advantage in man made noise rejection.

So you have relevant info now, and you can go ahead and get it, you will not be disappointed!

glovisol

Lasithi773

Post by Lasithi773 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Many thanks, gloviscol. I've already spent a fair bit in erecting my random long wire and a good earth system, it performs well with the RTL-SDR and I am on the point of ordering up an RSP2 Pro. Having been out of amateur radio for many years, I just wanted to make sure that no one seriously disagreed with my thoughts.

I feel much more confident in going ahead with this purchase now and appreciate the help I have been given by members of this forum. I will report back soon! :-)