can't get sdrplay to work with e4000 2832 dongle

Post your feedback here
haplessdiyer

can't get sdrplay to work with e4000 2832 dongle

Post by haplessdiyer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:26 am

I have one on the E4000 dongles that I have been running on my laptop. It works fine with sdrsharp. I'm using it in direct mode, listening to FM broadcast, aircraft, etc.
I installed the sdrplay extdll version. I launch it and when I turn it on it appears to make the dongle work. The noise level comes up. So far only noise, no signals. I have not been able to find the attenuation/gain function in the menu. Any pointers on that. Perhaps it comes up in heavy attenuation. I did click AGC but that doesn't seem to make a difference. There must be a default setting that is not correct. I'm thinking maybe a default offset freq assuming an upconverter? Hearing all the noise but no signals, something is not set correctly somewhere. Again, this dongle works fine on the same laptop using sdrsharp. The e4000 version does have 2 ways adjusting the gain, front end and backend. Maybe one of them is defaulted low gain but access is not obvious to me.
Last edited by haplessdiyer on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: can't get sdrplay to work with e4000 2832 dongle

Post by g1hbe » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:57 am

If you are using SDRUno, check that you are entering frequencies in the right format. Simply typing 91.5 <enter> will put you on 91.5 kHz, not MHz. Use the blue MHz button instead. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Andy

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:32 am

Folk on here may be able to help better if you were to include a screen shot showing SDRuno panels with the settings that you are using.

haplessdiyer

Post by haplessdiyer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:35 pm

I think the problem is that I cannot figure out how to enter the desired frequency or somehow the LO is not locked to it. I finally got something dialed in but I am unable to simply enter a desired frequency. It feels like this application may have been designed for Apple and then ported to a pc and consequently the key bindings just don't work like one would expect. I'm sure its user error but its very frustrating to have it mostly working but cannot get it go where I want.

Which window should I use to simply enter numbers to get a desired frequency? And have the LO track as well.
Last edited by haplessdiyer on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

haplessdiyer

Post by haplessdiyer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:43 pm

well pls ignore my last post. Its clearly a matter that this sw works differently than other sdr software I've used. Clicking dragging etc. just works differently and its going to take a while to get proficient at it. I did finally get it to lock onto a local radio station but the wfm didn't seem to work and I can't find where the bandwidth is adjusted. I think its wfm but somehow the bw is set to a narrow band so then there is lots of distortion.

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:13 pm

The e4000 2832 dongle is RTL based so you will need to use the associated EXT/IO dll driver placed in your My Documents folder.
http://www.hdsdr.de/hardware.html

To use SDRuno with this device, you must use SDRuno v1.22 https://www.sdrplay.com/downloads .
This version of SDRuno has two editions. You would use the EXT/IO edition of SDRuno.
Check your SDRuno installation folder to launch the correct version of SDRuno.

https://youtu.be/ES_RyZhx004