What I like about SDRuno

Discussions about everything to do with SDRuno
jon

What I like about SDRuno

Post by jon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:28 am

here's what one user has said...

The features I like best about SDRuno ...

1) The Memory Banks ... I use two monitors and always have the Memory Bank screen up in plain view. That screen allows me to bounce around painlessly with a simple mouse click.

2) The AGC circuits ... evening time for me involves 80m and 40m. I listen to the various nets while I am cooking supper, cleaning up the kitchen, or building a cozy fire. Invariably I hear the guys complaining about noise (atmospheric or man made) every night. Some of the participants can hear some stations, but not others, due to noise levels.

By setting the AGC slider on the Gain Reduction on the Main Screen and the AGC slider in the EX Control window you can eliminate noise completely! Super nice. So while they complain, I am listening to the same signals that are similar to those from a 2m repeater. Super sweet. Note, I kept my RX antennas low on purpose. My loops are tippy toe height in the woods.

3) The support from the Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/sdruno/ ... After watching this Group for a month there are few questions left unanswered. The support is unbelievable. I dare you to ask the lamest, stupidest question, and Bang! answers are posted. Then ask a wickedly technical out-of-this-world question, and Bang! answers are also posted for your consideration. Amazing. I guess it is because we are all focused on the same software/menu items/buttons/sliders/etc.

4) Bandwidth ... Initially I kept the bandwidth somewhat low (1.536 Mhz). Now that I have settings set properly in SDRuno for this ACER ES 15, I can enjoy 5 Mhz bandwidth. Of course, I seldom look at that many signals (or want to on HF). Bear in mind that I am more of an HF guy than a VHF/UHF type. What I use the bandwidth for is the FM Broadcast band to see what is happening up that high in frequency. If that band is peaking up than surely 6m is open and worth a shot, as 10m,12m, or 15m might be.

5) The Movable Windows ... I can easily lay out the various windows to suit my preference. No other software I know of allows this.

6) Sound ... I may be cheating here. I route my audio through an external 10-band audio equalizer to a stereo amplifier to 5 speakers. Everything sounds excellent. Yes, even the noise on a quiet frequency. I think SDR Console may be better (for whatever reason) but I am very happy with this set up. I can tweak the Highs for my old, yet extremely handsome, ears. The extremely handsome comment obviously applies to facial features around the ears as well ... heh heh!

Dan, VE9DAN (East Coast Canada)
Last edited by jon on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

luv2boat

Re: What I like about SDRuno

Post by luv2boat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Thank you for posting this note. I very much enjoy my SDRplay and SDRuno too.

It has enabled me, an SDR noobie, to jump right in and achieve comparable performance to my Hammarlund HQ-180 boat anchor while adding MUCH wider frequency response (wow DC to light!) , more modes of operation, amazing frequency stability, and how about those spectrum and waterfall displays?!!

Thanks for the Facebook tip. I will check there for possible answers to the questions I posted the other day, as that may be the more appropriate place to check before posting here.

Chris
Last edited by luv2boat on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason