Feedback for version 0.9a here

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
Sasan
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:15 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby Sasan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Another very small issue:
I think the "Center Freq" field should not accept values "0" and "2000000000" (2GHZ) because then the start/end frequency would fall outside the frequency range of the device. (for example entering 2GHZ and having a sweep width of 10MHZ would set the End frequency to 2.005GHZ)

Reason: No reason
DF2HF, NM9A, EP2C

petter
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby petter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks for making this software available, looking forward to larger spans being possible.

I also had trouble running the program after installation like some of the previous posters. It seems there is some assumption about number formats making it crash immediately at startup. Setting my region to English/UK in the control panel before starting made it work for me. Probably a , vs . issue while reading settings.
Last edited by petter on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdjack
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:13 pm

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby sdjack » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Nice work.
I am running with RSP1A, Win7 X64 and min Sweep Wide is 1Mhz. Any suggestion?
rgds
Last edited by sdjack on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby SteveAndrew » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 pm

petter wrote:I also had trouble running the program after installation like some of the previous posters. It seems there is some assumption about number formats making it crash immediately at startup. Setting my region to English/UK in the control panel before starting made it work for me. Probably a , vs . issue while reading settings.

That may well be the reason some other users are experiencing startup problems. I'll look into that.

Sasan wrote:Another very small issue:
I think the "Center Freq" field should not accept values "0" and "2000000000" (2GHZ) because then the start/end frequency would fall outside the frequency range of the device. (for example entering 2GHZ and having a sweep width of 10MHZ would set the End frequency to 2.005GHZ)

As mentioned in the release notes, sanity checking has not been fully carried out. This will be done in the next release.

Sasan wrote:I found a very very small issue: the button called "Hide Controls" at the top should change its label to "Show Controls" when you click on it. This is ok with other buttons designed as show/hide toggle, but not this one.

I spotted that just after I sent Andy the final release. It's been fixed and will be in the next release. By the way, I have to thank you for your original post in viewtopic.php?f=9&t=636 where you posted some sample code in C#. That got me started on writing a bit of code to control the RSP using C# - The analyser is the end product.

pierref1nwz wrote:does not work and does not even start. No error message ... nothing ...
W10 system

See the note above regarding number formats and English/UK settings. Could you let me know if this gets you running ?

NK7Z wrote:1. If the Save and Load buttons could be activated to save the current state of the analyser setup it would be great. I am preparing a set of analyser screenshots showing a 500 KHz section of spectrum containing RFI, both with and without the RFI present.
Between runs I need to manually set up the bandwidth, etc. to match the first run, so things are all on the same scale etc. If that could be saved and recalled it would speed the process.

Saving the current anaylser settings is in progress and should be in included in the next release. The aim is to take a complete snapshot of all settings and allow them to be saved under a user-named setings file.

NK7Z wrote:. Perhaps a template for the naming the screenshots... Something like XXXX-Y, where XXXX can be user supplied, and Y is a date/time indicator in the form of DDMMYYHHMMSS.

To a limited extent this facility is already available, check the options box. You can provide a base name for the screen-shots. Each shot will have a number added to it. The number automatically increments with each shot taken. Both the screen-shot name and start number can be set. I like the idea of adding the date and time to the screen-shot name, that might be useful to have. I've added that to the ToDo list.

Paul wrote:I would like to understand how to make a trace visible on the waterfall (I haven't yet found the controls for this my fault?) - it's just a white screen.
I did change the spectrum trace colour from white to green with no effect.
Would it be possible in the future to link to a recording?
And would it also be possible in some future iteration to measure harmonics within a given signal/transmission?

The waterfall should work with the default brightness and contrast settings that are in place when the analyser is launched. Have you tried adjusting them to see it the waterfall becomes visible ? - Let me know if you still continue to have problems with this.
IQ recording and playback is already on the ToDo list.
The next release will include sweep widths above 10MHz, so harmonics should be visible then. If you mean something like modulation analysis then that is on the ToDo list but will be some way down the track yet. Could you give me a little more detail ?

patapon wrote:I must do something wrong as I cannot launch the spectrum analyzer software.

Please check the note above regarding number formats and English/UK settings. Could you let me know if that cures the problem ?

K9AQ wrote:I paused the main trace to use the cross hairs to highlight the two tone frequencies and the 5th order IMD products. I found that the performance of the cross hair positioning is very poor when the display is paused, compared to how it operates when not paused. I hope there is something that you can do to improve that.

When the display is paused, the cursors should remain operational, but currently, they also pause. One to add to the bug list. In the meantime, you can use the Snap Trace facility to capture a trace on-screen and use that to take measurements from. You can hide the main trace while doing this if it's in the way.

JayDubya wrote:It would be handy to have scroll bars on the various setting/controlls windows. For some reason my 17inch laptop display is too short and the controls at the bottom are cut off. I do have a second monitor attached and the complete display is OK on that.

Also a Zoom feature would be handy to spread the spectral display a bit in order to cut off the 'down slope' ends of the display.

The roll-off on the display is due to the way the current sweep system operates. Band-edge roll-off will be eliminated when the new sweep system is written. A zoom or display expansion feature will also be included.

Thank you all for taking the time to post your comments. Feedback like this is invaluable, be it a bug note, or a suggestion or request for some feature. It all helps. Please take the time to read the release notes. They can be found on the Windows Start Menu under Andrew Developments and address some of the issues mentioned here. Also, if you find any errors in the instruction manual, or anything does does not quiet make sense, please let me know.

73's

Steve

Reason: No reason

navzptc
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby navzptc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 am

Didn't work at all at first, but after a bit of investigation found that my anti virus 'Bitdefender' was stopping it running as it was trying to make/amend a file in my protected directory C:\users\xxxx\rsp-sas spectrum analyser\specsettings.
Gave permission and all running fine now.

VMT for your hard work on this :D
Last edited by navzptc on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

NK7Z
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby NK7Z » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:53 am

Feature Request:

1. The ability to control the waterfall speed. I sometimes need to capture a 24 hour period using waterfall to show start/end times of an RFI event. I currently use HDSDR to perform this. Having the SA waterfall able to capture a 24, or 48 hour period of time would be very handy for presenting RFI screenshots to the FCC. A single screenshot would show current RFI, and the past 24, or 48 hours of RFI.

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby SteveAndrew » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:15 am

navzptc wrote:Didn't work at all at first, but after a bit of investigation found that my anti virus 'Bitdefender' was stopping it running as it was trying to make/amend a file in my protected directory C:\users\xxxx\rsp-sas spectrum analyser\specsettings.
Gave permission and all running fine now.

That's good to know. There was some mention of incorrect numbering formats used in non UK/English settings also stopping the analyser from launching. The problem regarding permissions and virus checkers will be added to the next release's instruction manual.

NK7Z wrote:1. The ability to control the waterfall speed. I sometimes need to capture a 24 hour period using waterfall to show start/end times of an RFI event. I currently use HDSDR to perform this. Having the SA waterfall able to capture a 24, or 48 hour period of time would be very handy for presenting RFI screenshots to the FCC. A single screenshot would show current RFI, and the past 24, or 48 hours of RFI.

This is already covered to some extent in the release notes. Independent control of the waterfall update speed will be in the next release. In addition, the waterfall display will have some amount of buffering so that it can be scrolled back to view past events. Obviously there is a limit to how much data can be buffered. I think optionally saving the waterfall data to a file might also be a good idea to allow a higher capture speed if required, while still retaining long-term data. This would not be the same as saving IQ data to a file, so the drive space required would not be a problem.

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby SteveAndrew » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:38 am

sdjack wrote:I am running with RSP1A, Win7 X64 and min Sweep Wide is 1Mhz. Any suggestion?

As mentioned in the release notes, due to problems with the sweep system, sweep widths of less than 10KHz, and greater than 10MHz have been disabled. This issue will have been resolved for the next release. The current system should allow sweep widths of less than 1MHZ. Can you provide any more information regarding the problem ? - You say you cannot get less than a minimum 1MHz sweep, are the buttons below 1MHz enabled ?

Reason: No reason

vsonnier
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:44 am

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby vsonnier » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 am

Hello, all,
This is crashing at startup as others saw on my own Windows 10 x64 1803 French.
When launched on the command line it shows the following traceback:

Unhandled exception: System.FormatException: Le format de la cha▒ne d'entr▒e est incorrect. ( = incorrect input format)
▒ System.Number.ParseDouble(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
▒ System.Convert.ToDouble(String value)
▒ Spectrum.frmMain.getRegistryInfo()
▒ Spectrum.frmMain..ctor()
▒ Spectrum.Program.Main()

So it is a .NET application, then ?
Last edited by vsonnier on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: Feedback for version 0.9a here

Postby SteveAndrew » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 am

vsonnier wrote:This is crashing at startup as others saw on my own Windows 10 x64 1803 French.
When launched on the command line it shows the following traceback:

Unhandled exception: System.FormatException: Le format de la cha▒ne d'entr▒e est incorrect. ( = incorrect input format)
▒ System.Number.ParseDouble(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
▒ System.Convert.ToDouble(String value)
▒ Spectrum.frmMain.getRegistryInfo()
▒ Spectrum.frmMain..ctor()
▒ Spectrum.Program.Main()

So it is a .NET application, then ?

Yes, it is a .NET application, running under .NET4 - Thank you for the above information, that is very useful in helping me to identify where the problem lies. The application requires access to the SDRplay API DLL. Location information for the DLL is stored in the registry. A short-term solution used by others experiencing the same problem seems to be to to change their settings to English/UK in the control panel. Please try this and let me know if it works. In the meantime I'll look at the code and see what can be done to rectify the problem. I'll change my settings to French, this will allow me to try and duplicate the problem here, and also test any revised code.

Reason: No reason


Return to “Spectrum Analysis”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests