Marker A, PPM Trim, and FMT

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
VE9DAN

Marker A, PPM Trim, and FMT

Post by VE9DAN » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:13 am

Using RSP 1 and Version 1.0, tuned to 3.330 CHU.
I have 3 markers following the peaks. I am set at a 10 KHz span and Averaged. PPM is set fairly high at +1.9.
Marker A is set on the carrier frequency of 3.330 MHz.

Here is what I noticed:

1) Marker A doesn't Refresh like B and C do. Marker A lays dormant.
2) PPM Trim has minimal effect. I was expecting the frequencies of the Markers to eventually coincide with the CHU frequencies as I adjusted the PPM, but they didn't. As you get closer, the Marker display then jumps to well below the desired setting.
3) I want to use this program to nail the ARRL Frequency Measuring Test (FMT). The idea is to measure an unknown signal frequency within a Hz. Can you add a decimal point to the Marker A ?

If indeed you can make the required adjustments, and if we fall within the measured frequency range (+/- 1 Hz), then my reporting will be spectacular for not only your program, but also for SDRplay. Time is of essence. The next FMT is coming up soon.

Can you possibly imagine that SDRplay units, coupled with your program, would place FIRST in the competition. I will be the first to announce it and to Shout It Out. There is a web page to broadcast my equipment and software to the guys who participate.

This may be fun stuff.

Reason: No reason

Mike2459

Re: Marker A, PPM Trim, and FMT

Post by Mike2459 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:53 pm

From what I have seen, the markers don't follow any trim that is done. They align with the grid on the spectrum display.
PPMtrim merely moves the underlying trace left or right in the display window. PPM trim must be done first to calibrate the display.

VE9DAN

Re: Marker A, PPM Trim, and FMT

Post by VE9DAN » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Yes I agree Mike.
So try aligning any Marker you choose with the calibrated signal, and paste your screenshot.
I tried but couldn't do it.

I want to see Marker D showing the exact frequency ... and read how you did it.
Play with CHU and WWV ... any frequency.
Dan