quasi-peak detector

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
bobh2k

quasi-peak detector

Postby bobh2k » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 am

I have just bought a broadband noise generator to use in a sweep system. The output is about -30dB down from the level displayed on a normal spectrum analyzer. This is probably due to the detection system used in the RSP1A so my question is will it be possible to incorporate quasi-peak detection in future releases or is it a hardware issue which we'll just have to live with?
Last edited by bobh2k on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

glovisol

Re: quasi-peak detector

Postby glovisol » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:36 pm

You will have to attenuate the -30 dBm noise level of the Noise Generator, otherwise the Spectrum Analyser sytem will likely overload & give distorted displays. Better go down to - 60 dBm. There is the peak measurement pushbutton on the console, or did I get you requirement wrong?

bobh2k

Postby bobh2k » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 pm

The Peak button you are referring to is a "Peak hold" I believe -- also called a Max hold . The analyzer shows the noise signal at -58dBm but on my old Texscan analyzer it is -20dBm (checked against a reference cw signal). The detectors in the analyzers is the only thing that can account for the 38dB difference. The difference in level between Raw/Peak/Avg in this case is only 2 or 3 dB.

[img][IMG]https://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p368/rb2k2/rawnoise_zpszho73mdw.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by bobh2k on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

glovisol

Postby glovisol » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 pm

There is no logical reason why a Spectrum Analyser, with a random noise input, should display a difference of 38 dB in average to peak noise, unless we are measuring a very, very special kind of noise. Perhaps the problem could be with your old Texcan detector.....I suppose you are using the workhorse Noise Generator BG7TBL.

Return to “Spectrum Analysis”