Omnirig and FT-991a not talking

An area to exchange hints and tips on various rig control software, also a place to ask the community questions if you are having problems.
K5JSG

Omnirig and FT-991a not talking

Post by K5JSG » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:48 pm

I am brand new to SDR's and Omnirig. I think I may be missing a setting or I am doing something wrong. I am having an issue getting omnirig and sdrplay to work with my rig. I don't think that omnirig is talking to the Yaesu FT-991a or either that SDRuno is not talking to omnirig. One of the two.

Ultimately, I'd like to use SRDuno as a panadapter with HRD running as well. I have seen the videos of using a virtual port splitter such as VSPE or com0com. I'd like to get that working as well, especially using com0com. But first I need SDRuno to play nice with the radio. Please anyone able to help or at least point me to the right direction?

I am currently running:

Processor: intel i3-7100 @ 3.9GHz
Ram: 8 GB

FT-991a's Ports:
Enhanced Port - COM3
Standard Port - COM4

Omnirig version: 1.19

SDRuno version: 1.32

HRD Version: 6.6.0.236

Thanks for any help provided!

Jeremy - K5JSG
Last edited by K5JSG on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

mikeladd

Re: Omnirig and FT-991a not talking

Post by mikeladd » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:24 pm

You will need to properly configure omnirig in order for SDRuno to make use of the profile selected.
Almost all dual com port Yaesu rigs use the Enhanced port for rig control.
Double check your DTR/RTS settings. A google IMAGE search "ft991 omnirig" should be a good starting point

K5JSG

Post by K5JSG » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi Mike,

So I have omnirig setup as I am seeing in the images found on google.

RIG TYPE: FT-991
PORT: COM 3
BAUD RATE: 38400 (Confirmed in Radio: Menu ID # 031 - Cat rate: 38400)
DATA BITS: 8
PARITY: NONE
STOP BITS: 2
RTS: HIGH
DTR: HIGH
POLL INT., MS: 100
TIMOUT, MS: 200

As seen in the original post, my ports in device manager on windows 10 are Enhanced Port COM3 and Standard Port COM4.

However, going into SDRuno's main window and clicking on settings, going to ORIG it says "Can't connect to the OmniRig server"

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:40 pm

You can try applying the FTDX300 DTR/RTS settings I outlined in this video. It should work for the 991 as well
https://youtu.be/cVn5k8E_hMM

K5JSG

Post by K5JSG » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Ok, I followed the directions given in the video. Only things on my end that were different in the port settings in device manager for the enhanced port (COM 3) were the "bits per second" and "stop bits". So I updated their values to match both the rig and omnirig's values.

Still a no go with SDRuno. With Omnirig running, I open SDRuno. Then go to the RX control screen and made sure the RSYN1 button is turned on. Then went to the settings>ORIG and made sure RIG1 was selected, just like in the video. However, when I go to "MAIN" window and click on Settings>ORIG it shows the RIG1 and RIG2 types. At the bottom of that window, under the ENABLE button it says "Can't connect to OmniRig server".

I still have no rig control in SDRuno.

However if I close SDRuno and Omnirig, programs like Ham Radio Deluxe and WSJTX take control and work just fine with the rig.

Although, if Omnirig is open, neither of those programs will take control of the rig. I get error messages saying they can not connect to the rig because the port is busy.

So I'm guessing that Omnirig is working correctly, but I'm at a loss as to why Omnirig and SDRuno can't talk to each other.

Anyone had a problem similar to this and able to fix it? Mike any more ideas?

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 pm

You can try running Omnirig as admin.

HRD does not have native omnirig support and WSJT-X has issue when using omnirig (from my own experiences). Make sure nothing else is communication with the rig when using omnirig.You might want to look into the omnirig client app to verify your settings. SDRuno only uses omnirig as a transport so the issue is with omnirig and your rig not SDRuno and omnirig.

K5JSG

Post by K5JSG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 am

As for running WSJT-X and HRD... I know that omnirig and either of those programs can be open at the same time, and they don’t use Omnirig. Was just stating that other programs have no problem taking control, and have no issues with them and CAT control. They are setup independently and work without omnirig or SDRuno running. Just stating if omnirig is open, neither program will work for cat control and give an error stating the com port is in use. I close omnirig and either program works as normal.

Yeah I have been running omnirig as administrator (right click and run as admin).

I have checked and rechecked the enhanced com port (COM3) has the exact same settings in the port settings as both the rig and Omnirig.

I’m just at a loss... as to why SDRuno states “can’t connect to omnirig server”?

K5JSG

Post by K5JSG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:57 am

To describe what I do when trying to get things working (see other posts for app settings)

I have boot the PC... once up, I turn on the power supply for the rig and then turn on the rig...Once the rig is up I start omnirig and then SDRuno.

I do NOT have any programs that would control the rig in anyway in a startup file or anything (ex. HRD or WSJT or even omnirig).

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:05 am

This is from the LOG4OM forum (software that is also omnirig compliant), Copy and pasted below. The updated rig.ini files are here
http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/Files/RigIni.zip I hope it fixes the issue

-------------------------------------------------------
Hello Terry,
Finally it works.
TRX connected with USB cable (not rs232)
setting need to be as follows.
TRX
cat-tot 10mS
cat-rts disable
Baud rate 38400
LOG4OM
baud rate 38400
com port 3
leave all other settings as default

Please install latest rig.ini file (see website omnirig)
This works now .
Only thing i do not see the vfo B when in split mode on LOG4OM.

So finally a result.
73 Michel ON7QL
-------------------------------------------------------

K5JSG

Post by K5JSG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:38 pm

FINALLY!!! I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!

So I have been running Omnirig as administrator, but not SDRuno. I tried something this morning just playing really, and tried running SDRuno as admin. Low and behold cat control is working now!!!!

YAY!!!! I'm a happy camper!

Thanks for all your patience and help Mike! It is greatly appreciated!