.NET 3.5 on Windows 10 and SDRSharp

General discussions
DaveB

.NET 3.5 on Windows 10 and SDRSharp

Post by DaveB » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:59 am

I've just done a bit of googling and you can in fact install .NET 3.5 on a Windows 10 computer - with just a tiny bit of messing about.

I would assume that once .NET 3.5 is installed on Win 10 then it would be possible to run an older build of SDR# eg 1361 without problems.

Would anyone like to take the time to google the instructions and test this out - if it works it could make a big difference to some people.

Regards

David
Last edited by DaveB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

ziptaco

Re: .NET 3.5 on Windows 10 and SDRSharp

Post by ziptaco » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:06 pm

DaveB wrote:I've just done a bit of googling and you can in fact install .NET 3.5 on a Windows 10 computer - with just a tiny bit of messing about.

I would assume that once .NET 3.5 is installed on Win 10 then it would be possible to run an older build of SDR# eg 1361 without problems.

Would anyone like to take the time to google the instructions and test this out - if it works it could make a big difference to some people.

Regards

David
Do you mean a newer build? R1361 and older already are based on .NET 3.5 and should run just fine on Windows 10. I have several releases all the way down to 1331 that run just fine on windows 10 with SDRPlay.
Last edited by ziptaco on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Yes - from what I understood Win 10 has minimal support for Net 3.5 which is why SDR# had to do a load of re-coding and in the process dropped support for all but a few hardware platforms. If you look at the SDR# forum going back a little way SDR# posted this:
We have been relying on the .NET Framework 3.5 for quite some time until it's no longer installed by default into the new operating systems. Microsoft also provides minimalist support of this version of the Framework on Windows 10 which handicaped the core and plugin developers in many ways. This also resulted in obscure bugs in the user base.
Bottom line for me - build 1361 worked on Win 7 - didn't work on Win 10 until I made sure all the components of .NET framework 3.5 were activated - and is now working fine. As I hi-jacked the wife's Celeron based laptop I can't check out whether Jeff Knapps fm suite works as it has to too high a load for the CPU - at 1.024Mbps with an RTL-dongle the poor PC is running around 45% load by itself. [Still - don't tell the wife - I've now got a holiday DX set up!]. Vaily's baseband recorder and filepayer work as does MPX Output and RDSDatalogger.

Getting Net 3.5 fully working in my case was a cse of going to Programs and features in the Control panel expanding the drop down against the net 3.5 entry ticking the two boxes and then re-starting SDR#. I'd recommend re-starting the PC to make sure the changes really have taken as checking back and forth ended up with a problem until I re-started

An important question for ziptaco - in build 1361 do you have two files a) LICENCE and b) SDRSharp.LICENCE.MIT? Is so would you agree that the licencing of this build is "free for all to distribute"?

ziptaco

Post by ziptaco » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:27 pm

DaveB wrote:Yes - from what I understood Win 10 has minimal support for Net 3.5 which is why SDR# had to do a load of re-coding and in the process dropped support for all but a few hardware platforms. If you look at the SDR# forum going back a little way SDR# posted this:
We have been relying on the .NET Framework 3.5 for quite some time until it's no longer installed by default into the new operating systems. Microsoft also provides minimalist support of this version of the Framework on Windows 10 which handicaped the core and plugin developers in many ways. This also resulted in obscure bugs in the user base.
Bottom line for me - build 1361 worked on Win 7 - didn't work on Win 10 until I made sure all the components of .NET framework 3.5 were activated - and is now working fine. As I hi-jacked the wife's Celeron based laptop I can't check out whether Jeff Knapps fm suite works as it has to too high a load for the CPU - at 1.024Mbps with an RTL-dongle the poor PC is running around 45% load by itself. [Still - don't tell the wife - I've now got a holiday DX set up!]. Vaily's baseband recorder and filepayer work as does MPX Output and RDSDatalogger.

Getting Net 3.5 fully working in my case was a cse of going to Programs and features in the Control panel expanding the drop down against the net 3.5 entry ticking the two boxes and then re-starting SDR#. I'd recommend re-starting the PC to make sure the changes really have taken as checking back and forth ended up with a problem until I re-started

An important question for ziptaco - in build 1361 do you have two files a) LICENCE and b) SDRSharp.LICENCE.MIT? Is so would you agree that the licencing of this build is "free for all to distribute"?
DaveB, my Windows 10 installation was done as an upgrade and not a clean install. Perhaps, for that reason I did not encounter any problems with the older .Net 3.5 sdr# builds.

On the question about having the license file I'd have to check if the zip I downloaded has them both. I will PM you what whether or not the zip has them both as I do not think it would be prudent to discuss SDR# licensing issues here to the save the SDRPlay team more troubles.
Last edited by ziptaco on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

WyoDuner

Post by WyoDuner » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:25 am

My build 1361 works perfectly fine on Windows 10. Nothing special was required for me to get it running. My WIndows 10 was an upgrade but from a factory fresh windows 8 install.
Last edited by WyoDuner on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:47 am

In response to the two comments that Build 1361 worked straight off from a Win 8.1 install - that is good news. My install was from Windows 7 - so that may be where people are running into difficulties. My main PC is Win 8.1 which was a factory install so at some time I will upgrade to Win10 and should have no problem (he hopes).

Regards

David

Fones

Post by Fones » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 am

The W7 --> W10 upgrages that I have done have mostly had problems eventually.
Last edited by Fones on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.