Current draw from SDRduo when plugged into USB port

General discussions
Lloyd

Current draw from SDRduo when plugged into USB port

Post by Lloyd » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:57 am

Does anyone know how much current the RSPduo draws from the USB port? I just got my 'duo' and it is only drawing about 5mA. I installed SDRuno and it doesn't detect the RSP. I believe the low current draw is a clue that my RSP unit is 'broken'.

Thanks,

Lloyd
Last edited by Lloyd on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: Current draw from SDRduo when plugged into USB port

Post by Tech_Support » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:46 am

Hello Lloyd,
This result suggests that the device has not enumerated onto the USB port correctly. The device will only draw a minimal current until it has enumerated correctly. The most likely cause is a driver loading issue. Open up the device manager and if you cannot find the RSP, or it appears as an unknown device, then it would indicate a driver problem. Please first try a different cable and a different USB port. A faulty cable can still cause enumeration issues if the cable is not capable of handling the required data rate with a sufficiently low error rate. If you continue to struggle, I would suggest that you open up a support ticket at www.sdrplay.com/support

Sincerely

Tech_Support

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 pm

My SDRduo draws 5 ma. when plugged in but not connected to an SDR program. About 60 to 70 ma when SDRuno is started but Play not pushed and 140 ma. when SDRuno is running.

Roger

brooksjo

Post by brooksjo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:39 am

Hey guys,

How can I measure the current drawn by a USB? I've seen a thread (on WindowsSecrets forum I guess) where the guys recommend a multimeter and a hacked up cable to measure the actual USB current. Though I think there should be an easier solution.
Last edited by brooksjo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

sdrom33

Post by sdrom33 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:51 pm

Broxjio it is easy, you cut a short PC USB cable and join all wires but let the red one open and place a digital tester in between the red pieces with tester at 250 ma

DF1KZ

Post by DF1KZ » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:23 pm

brooksjo wrote:Hey guys,

How can I measure the current drawn by a USB? I've seen a thread (on WindowsSecrets forum I guess) where the guys recommend a multimeter and a hacked up cable to measure the actual USB current. Though I think there should be an easier solution.
There are many cheap devices you can insert between the USB plug and the cable. They show you the voltage and the current.
Wolfgang

SDRplay (RSP1, RSP1A, RSP2pro) with:
RFsystems DX-10 (14kHz to 50MHz), resistive splitter 1/4, 1:16 transformer on Hi-Z of RSP2
ICOM Discone AH-8000 (10MHz to 2GHz)
12m above ground

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:50 am

DF1KZ wrote:
brooksjo wrote:Hey guys,

There are many cheap devices you can insert between the USB plug and the cable. They show you the voltage and the current.
Wolfgang
This is the one I use. Bought it on Amazon for about 7 USD. https://www.tacklifetools.com/product/p ... dex/id/150 Gives voltage, current draw in milliamps and energy used in ma-hour.
Attachments
tacklife.PNG
tacklife.PNG (28.37 KiB) Viewed 21304 times

Lloyd

Post by Lloyd » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Thanks to all those who responded to my plea for help.

Roger, you gave me the info on the current draw. Thanks for that.

Admin, you indicated that I should re-install SDRuno. I did so, and was more patient and waited for the appropriate prompts. All is well, and I am up and running.

Lloyd
Last edited by Lloyd on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.