Linux Mint + SDRPlay + Openwebrx -- Failed to activate stream

General discussions
ChaosTexas
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:48 pm

Linux Mint + SDRPlay + Openwebrx -- Failed to activate stream

Postby ChaosTexas » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:48 pm

I nearly have it working...I think. But I'm getting a "Failed to activate stream" and "Connection refused" error....and am unsure of the next step....

I started with new install of Linux Mint (a basic distribution). After reading through much of the rabbit trail of info, I created a shell which does most of the work. I used the recommended SoapySDR and the various support stuff for it. It seems to be close to fully successful. Shell containing the setup follows at the end along with some notes.

AFTER DOING THE SHELL AND MAKING THE 2 MANUAL MODS NOTED BELOW, I successfully find my SDRPLAY via a terminal window: SoapySDRUtil --find

$ SoapySDRUtil --find
######################################################
## Soapy SDR -- the SDR abstraction library ##
######################################################

Found device 0
driver = sdrplay
label = SDRplay Dev0 RSP1 B0005P0001
serial = B0005P0001


SEEMS ALL IS OKAY. i try the more thorough test in the command window: SoapySDRUtil --probe="driver=sdrplay"
This gives a LOT of other stuff and it also seems to indicate that all (most?) is well.

HOWEVER, when I try to run openwebrx.py, I get a lot of stuff that looks just fine but ends with:

...
Tuner gain set to 5.00 dB.
[INFO] Using format CS16.
Reading samples in sync mode...
[openwebrx-spectrum] Spectrum thread started.
Failed to activate stream
nmux: (main thread/for) end input stream, exiting.
nc: connect to 127.0.0.1 port 4951 (tcp) failed: Connection refused

and then just sits there. ANY IDEAS?

Thanks for suggestions,
ChaosTexas

.................................................................

Notes:
1. After install openwebrx, need to modify the config file /home/xxxuser/SDR/openwebrx/config_webrx.py .
Suggest copying the original file to config_webrx.py.original in case your screw up
Find the start_rtl_command line that is commented out and drop these three lines into the file (all on one line, one right after the other...)

Code: Select all

soapy_device_query="0" #can be a number or can correspond to a driver, e.g. soapy_device_query="driver=hackrf", see `rx_sdr --help`

start_rtl_command="rx_sdr -d {device_query} -F CF32 -s {samp_rate} -f {center_freq} -p {ppm} -g {rf_gain} -".format(device_query=soapy_device_query, rf_gain=rf_gain, center_freq=center_freq, samp_rate=samp_rate, ppm=ppm)

format_conversion=""


(one thread https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2367#p7134 suggests using -d driver=sdrplay but this does not seem to make a difference for me. )

2. Need to blacklist per http://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1702#p5189 and openwebrx wiki
Create file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with this content

Code: Select all

    blacklist sdr_msi3101
    blacklist msi001
    blacklist msi2500



BASIC INSTALL SHELL:

Code: Select all

# make directory for all the SDR junk
mkdir /home/xxxuser/SDR
cd /home/xxxuser/SDR

# Get some missing stuff, libraries, etc.
# if it is already installed, will simpy step over...
sudo apt-get install build-essential git libfftw3-dev cmake libusb-1.0-0-dev

#Installing SoapySDR:
git clone https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDR
cd SoapySDR
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
cd ..

# set back to base directory
cd /home/xxxuser/SDR
#Installing rx_tools:
git clone https://github.com/rxseger/rx_tools
cd rx_tools
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
cd ..

cd /home/xxxuser/SDR
git clone https://github.com/simonyiszk/csdr
cd csdr
make
sudo make install

# had previously downloaded the SDRPlay driver and it is in Downloads
# move to that directory and install it
cd /home/xxxuser/Downloads
sudo SDRplay_RSP_API-Linux-2.13.1.run

# back to base directory
cd /home/xxxuser/SDR
# Build SoapySDR play
git clone https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDRPlay.git
cd SoapySDRPlay
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install

# get openwebrx
cd /home/xxxuser/SDR
git clone https://github.com/simonyiszk/openwebrx

# add blacklist file per notes above.....
# and modify the config_webrx.py file

# TEST with these commands in terminal window
# at this point of the setup, can check with
# SoapySDRUtil --probe="driver=sdrplay"

# this does the connect thing.
#SoapySDRUtil --probe="driver=sdrplay"

#cd /home/xxxuser/SDR/openwebrx
# python openwebrx.py

Last edited by ChaosTexas on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

ON5HB
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:07 pm
Location: Heppen - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Linux Mint + SDRPlay + Openwebrx -- Failed to activate stream

Postby ON5HB » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:30 am


Reason: No reason
Greetings,

Bas - ON5HB


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests