RSP2 as Panadapter for 2 Radios Simultaneously

General discussions
DanielSpokane

RSP2 as Panadapter for 2 Radios Simultaneously

Post by DanielSpokane » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:25 pm

Hello,
I purchased a RSP2 about a year and a half back. Lots of fun. I'm trying to make a shift and get it hooked up as a panadapter for my 2 radios. I'm worried about not hooking it up right and damaging the RSP2 unit. I've watched the videos online and feel like I have it planned out ok... but wanted to get some feed back before I implement.

I have 2 radios. My plan is as follows:

Radio 1:
-Kenwood TS 850s - Hf
-Here i plan to run my Hf antenna to the Kenwood transceiver, and then run a line from the IF out on the transceiver to the SDRplay unit (antenna A in). I'm assuming since it runs from the IF out, I shouldn't need any other protection for the RSP2. I plan to control the rig using omni rig and a cat cable from mu usb to the Kenwood receiver.
-it is my understanding if I'm hooked to the IF out on the radio, I can only scan frequencies if the radio is on.

Radio 2:
-Icom IC7100 - i use this for 10M, 6M, 2 meter and 70cm
-Here i plan to run my coax from my discone antenna to an MFJ-1708SDR for a/b switching. From there I will run the antenna lines 1) from the MFJ-1708 to the radio, and 2) from the MFJ-1708 to the RSP2 antenna 2. and will run the PTT line from the MFJ-1708 to the receiver. For rig control I'm planning to use the IC7100 software and Omnirig.

Does this all sound ok? .... ie should this work ok? I know if I have both hooked up like this I can only use one or the other (IE I can't run it as a pan adapter for both radios simultaneously …but I believe I can switch from one to the other... right?). But does having both of these hooked up sound ok? I know they make and overload protection unit. Should I use that in addition to all the items listed above?... or is that over kill? Are there any fatal flaws?????? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Daniel
Last edited by DanielSpokane on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

DanielSpokane

Re: RSP2 as Panadapter for 2 Radios Simultaneously

Post by DanielSpokane » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:19 am

Also, does anyone know whether the SDRplay front end can be damaged if it is plugged into the USB but is NOT "playing"?

If I'm using one of the radios I don't want signal from the radio in use connected to one of the RSP2 antenna ports to damage the SDR through the other radio's antenna connected to the other RSP2 antenna port on the SDR play. I'm hoping if one Antenna port is in use... the other can't be damaged. But I'm not sure.
Last edited by DanielSpokane on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

vk2icj

Post by vk2icj » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 pm

DanielSpokane wrote:Also, does anyone know whether the SDRplay front end can be damaged if it is plugged into the USB but is NOT "playing"?

I'm no expert. I'm learning as I go as well. This is from SDRPlay's website

Disconnecting the USB while leaving an antenna connected which is presenting signals stronger than 10dBM to the RSP antenna input, does not help matters – if anything it makes it worse since the RSP is designed to have the USB connected to ensure the antenna switches are powered up in a known state.

https://www.sdrplay.com/protect-your-rs ... ansmitter/

Chris
Last edited by vk2icj on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
73 73 de vk2icj ..

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Not 100% sure (call MFJ) but I believe the MFJ-1708 original model is not rated for use in VHF but the version B 1708SDR is. It doesn't matter whether the RSP is powered on or off. It's a common misconception that not having the RSP turned on will prevent damage from excessive RF power. Removing the USB cable from the PC does not protect the RSP. The shield from the coaxial cable can provide the ground return path for an RF signal from your transmitter