SDRPlay - Future Plans

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
sdrplay

SDRPlay - Future Plans

Post by sdrplay » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:29 am

Hi All\n\nI am looking at the SDRPlay as a little project. I have been playing with 2 RTLSDR''s from NOOELEC in the states, they have modified these and they do not suffer with thermal drift and have been very successful. I have been testing some MPT1327 Trunked systems as well as DMR/Mototrbo and ACPO P25 with some success. After reading your review from the FMDX''er it has re-kindled some interested in one of my first experiences of Radio. I have read the few comments so far in on this forum and can see that there are plans to take this forward. Obviously I am now just waiting for the right time to purchase, Do I wait until the FType antenna is replaced or other features are added or do I just go for it now, \n\nOne of my main issues with the RTL was pagers, I am located around 6 miles away in direct line of sight to a large highpower pager array with gave the SDR a lot of gripe, where as my other radios such as Kenwood D710''s, Kenwood D72 and ICOM 7000 suffer no such effects. (of course, £10 vs £500 is a big difference)\n\nI wonder what people experience is of digital modes, HF is also of interest to me and it would be interesting to compare to the likes of the ICOM 7000 when connected to a large High Gain antenna (with a note that I can see the 2 mast at Droitwich that kick out several hundred Kw''s of AM Broadcast)\n\nThanks\nDan\nM0MST

sdrplay

Re: SDRPlay - Future Plans

Post by sdrplay » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Is the firmware on-board SDRplay "upgradable" like Funcube Pro+ ?\nWill you release firmware upgrade in the future, as you find bugs or enhancements?\n

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:27 pm

There is firmware that runs on the MSi2500. This mainly runs the core USB functions on the receiver. The firmware is downloaded to the device by the driver when it is first plugged in. I don’t see that firmware changing much although if it needs to it will be done as an upgrade to the driver so yes it is upgradable in that respect.\n\nThe driver and the API run on the local PC The driver deals with all the USB interface functions and the API code provides an interface to the receiver. To be honest the drivers are all pretty stable and deal with the core USB functionality, most of the changes people will be looking for will probably occur in the API as we either adjust the functionality, provide bug fixes or open up new function calls.\n\nTo be clear we will provide updates, bug fixes and enhancements to all of the above as required.\n

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi Dan, I have some experience (as G4ABQ) successfully decoding HF Fax on 14MHz using the SDRplay RSP. Also we''ve put together a video clip showing near 70dB dynamic range achieved under blocking conditions on Band II. Take a look on www.jonhudson.net/sdrplay.htm which includes as yet unreleased website content - it''s video number 3 if you scroll down. We wont be changing the design any time soon but we are shipping an adapter to BNC. I''ll do some digging re the rest of your questions. 73, Jon

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:21 pm

One thing that might be beneficial if you have to do a new production run would be, in my opinion, to have a separate antenna input for 150kHz - 30 MHz. As the design stands it would have to be 150 kHz to 60 MHz because of the way the filters / pre-amp are switched but as I read the circuit schematics "all" you would have to do is break the link between the input aerial switch to the pre-amp and feed the pre-amp from another input socket with it's own input protection.

Rgds

David

jon

Post by jon » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:14 pm

thanks for the suggestion Dave.

Quimquim

Post by Quimquim » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:43 am

Hi all,
I'm agree with Daveb, not only regarding the RSP schematic aspect but also from an RF view point.

In the RF spectrum the space, below 30mhz is a completely different world than over. :roll:

Also regarding the antennas to cover wide range of the spectrum there is no "one size fist all".

These last week I have spend many time to familiarise with the antennas aspect to find the better solution to cover a so wide spectrum.
( .1 to 2k mhz)

Commonly the 30mhz seem the be the corner point to split the spectrum to find antennas from both side.

Below 30mhz the active antennas ( style PA0RDT ) look to be the best compromise and the Discone for over 30mhz.

Actually I have not deploy antenna outside ( too much snow an the ground is frozen ).

I will detail the solutions I have selected; in the antennas part of the forum; when I will have deploy the antennas and have some result to share. :idea:
Stay tuned !!!! :mrgreen:

Quimquim :P