SDRPlay vs RTL-SDR dongles vs support with 3th party

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
ON4LL

SDRPlay vs RTL-SDR dongles vs support with 3th party

Post by ON4LL » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:45 am

Hello,

Yesterday I did some tests between some rtl-sdr dongles ( R820T2 and E4000 ) and I must say that the difference between the SDRPlay and the RTL-SDR dongles is huge.
I never compared them between each other but yesterday I did.

The receive on the dongles is BAD if you compare it with the SDRPlay.
Noise level is also much higher on the RTL dongles, some signals I could not see on the RTL dongles.

The SDRPlay is a much more ear-candy to listen to, I really can't see how other people say otherwise.

but ... and there is always a "but'

I miss somewhat the relationship between the SDRPlay and 3th party apps.
I know the RTL-SDR is widely spreaded and much more cheaper and has much more developers to do things with it.

I would be nice there was some 'thingy" that could fake the mirics into a rtl and has the same advantages as the SDRPlay.
so we could use all the 3th party programs with the SDRPlay.

Regards,
Kurt
Last edited by ON4LL on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Qosmio

Re: SDRPlay vs RTL-SDR dongles vs support with 3th party

Post by Qosmio » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:13 am

Hello Kurt,

I have a icom PCR1000 and a sdrplay unit, to control the icom pcr1000 i bought Radiocom 6 for 200 euro because this program have good dsp control which is very nice to use on HF and it has all the digital decode options i need, too bad it does not support the sdrplay it does support other sdr radio’s but as we know implementing a new radio/drivers in a program like SDR Console and others takes time, so I see your point but it will get better in the future. It would be nice to develop an access standardization of such radios, like sdrplay does with his API.

Cheers,
Bernard
Last edited by Qosmio on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason