SDRplay Under Linux ( Ubuntu )

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
Quimquim

SDRplay Under Linux ( Ubuntu )

Post by Quimquim » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi Team,
I saw that there is an API linux.

I recently installed GNURadio - Companion and found it really insteresting to experiment with SDR.

Over listening with the SDRplay the interest to explore "Under the Hood" with SDRplay and GNURadio give a great opportunity to experiment.

I have done a couple of test with GNURadio-Companion and it's very easy to build things.

So I wonder if you have a forecast date for the GNURadio plugin.

Hope to experiment soon!!!! :mrgreen:

Regards,
Quimquim
Last edited by Quimquim on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay tuned !!!! :mrgreen:

Quimquim :P

jon

Re: SDRplay Under Linux ( Ubuntu )

Post by jon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:50 pm

We are getting close to having support for GNU Radio. We prioritised SDR-Console and HDSDR plug-ins - HDSDR was released at the weekend. I'll try and post a better estimate for exactly when we will have GNU Radio.

Jon

ivorydawn

Post by ivorydawn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Good morning All,

I would very much appreciate GNU Radio support! I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Regards

Andrew - G7MNS

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon May 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi,

now that osmosdr is supporting the SDRPlay has anybody tried to get the SDRPlay running with GQRX?
I had to compile gr-osmosdr again with the -DENABLE_NONFREE=TRUE parameter as desribed on their page and get
the SSDRPlay running with GQRX.

But the results are not good, there is a disturbing noise on the AF and there is a strong jitter on the spectrum
like the SDRPlay is overloaded by very strong out of band signals. Also in the settings I can't choose a sample rate,
if I type it in it is not stored. Is there a possibility to set all parameters for the hardware, mabe in the Linux API?
I'm not an expert with Gnuradio and any help or hints would be highly appreciated.

73 de Fred, DL6BAW
Last edited by Rebel on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

biersieder

Post by biersieder » Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Rebel, I can only confirm that I see the very exact behavior. I had to manually enter bandwidth and sample_freq into default.conf for gqrx.
Listening to FM BC stations is the only possible usage at the moment, since WFM is tolerant to the jumps in level and instabilities. Other demodulation types like NFM, AM or SSB are not as tolerant and hence impossible to work with.
It's working somehow, but due to closed SW drivers, it's hard to debug.
@SDRPLAY-team, any chance to make the drivers open source in the future? Mirics Homepage is horrible, and the links in the "download area" are all dead.
Sorry to say, but the closed source drivers are a pain in the ....

biersieder
Last edited by biersieder on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Tue May 19, 2015 10:59 pm

We will try to replicate some of the issues you are seeing and report back here. We have to respect that the driver from Mirics is closed to protect their IP and work with what we have access to.

Will report back as soon as we can with more information.
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 20, 2015 4:18 pm

OK, thanks to biersieder, it is at least kind of positive to hear that I'm not the only one discovering this.
I had my setup with osmocom and Gnuradio in doubt, so I upgraded to Gnuradio 3.7.7.2 and also compileed
gr-osmosdr and GQRX again, after that I had the feeling it is a little bit better, but not really, it was obviously
more the effect of trying different gain and sample rate values. I'm a little bit afraid now that it will be kind
of difficult to get a solution, which is a pitty, because I usually work with Linux.

73 de Fred, DL6BAW
Last edited by Rebel on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.