RSP1A HF Signals

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
KC1KUB

RSP1A HF Signals

Post by KC1KUB » Mon May 06, 2019 7:34 pm

Hello,
I am new to HF operating and have the SDRPlay RSP1A connected to a ~71ft random wire antenna using a 9:1 unun. I am able to get fairly good reception using my new Yaesu DT-891 but the signals on the SDRPlay are very weak and barely show up. My goal is to use the waterfall display to monitor the band and the Yaesu FT-891 for transmitting.

I have an MFJ-1708B device with a control cable that switches the antenna only to the transceiver when the PTT is enabled.

This is all working really well except the signals are extremely weak on the RSP1A. For example, I have attached a QSO in progress which I was monitoring and the signal was very clear on the Yaesu FT-891.

Any advice?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (131.16 KiB) Viewed 19507 times
Last edited by KC1KUB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

mikeladd

Re: RSP1A HF Signals

Post by mikeladd » Tue May 07, 2019 4:44 pm

I would bypass the MFJ switch temporarily and run the main antenna into the RSP.
Check that your gain settings are correct within Console. Sometimes console hiccups when making drastic gain changes.
If all looks good in Console put the switch back inline. Note that the switch can create up to a 3dB loss.

KC1KUB

Post by KC1KUB » Tue May 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks - I definitely get much more signal the background/baseline is around -110dBm on the chart. But the signal is not dramatically higher. Maybe it is just that the FT-891 has very good noise reduction etc. But I am finding some signals on the Yaesu by just dialing around that are not showing on the SDR.
Last edited by KC1KUB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

g1hbe

Post by g1hbe » Tue May 07, 2019 10:22 pm

This is strange. The RSP should be able to hear everything your Yaesu can hear. I've never found any significant difference between my RSP2 and my other receivers (including a nice R&S EB150). I can't be much help with Console as I haven't used it for a long time, I prefer to stick with SDRUno these days but as Mike says, check any attenuators and gain settings within the program.
Is the balun in circuit on both receivers or just the RSP? If only on the RSP, try it without.

Andy

mikeladd

Post by mikeladd » Wed May 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Console by default runs a smoothing algorithm on the spectrum. I suggest checking within the options and changing your setting to mirror these
https://imgur.com/M2NSxrZ

sdrom33

Post by sdrom33 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:58 pm

It will take you 10 minutes flat to download SDRuno and install on your PC. Then, if you still experience low sensitivity as compared to other receivers CONNECTED TO THE SAME ANTENNA AND IN THE SAME WAY, then you should open a ticket, but chances are you have a problem with Console's attenuation or other settings.