cubicsdr on Linux doesn't see the RSP

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
Jim Shaffer

cubicsdr on Linux doesn't see the RSP

Post by Jim Shaffer » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm trying to get my RSP1 working on Linux Mint 19.2. I followed the instructions on https://www.sdrplay.com/non-windows-workflow/. The API 2.13 installed with no errors. When building SoapySDR, it complains of not finding the Python libraries, but builds and installs anyway.

When I run SoapySDRUtil -info, it finds the modules and says that it includes sdrplay support. When I run SoapySDRUtil --probe=sdrplay (after blacklisting the msi modules, which the instructions neglect to tell me I need to do), it prints "libusb: error [udev_hotplug_event] ignoring udev action bind", but goes on to find my RSP1 and print all its parameters.

Despite the drivers apparently being installed OK, when I run cubicsdr (the appimage downloaded from sdrplay.com), it only lists PulseAudio and my RTL stick as input devices. (I did not build SoapySDR for the RTL, but it works anyway -- does cubic work with the RTL without Soapy support, or do I have a conflicting version of Soapy installed somewhere?)

I also tried the build of cubicsdr that's in the Mint repositories. It's the same version number as the one in the appimage, but it claims "No SoapySDR modules were found" and doesn't even list PulseAudio or the RTL stick.
Last edited by Jim Shaffer on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Jim Shaffer

Re: cubicsdr on Linux doesn't see the RSP

Post by Jim Shaffer » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:32 pm

Since the edit function is broken again, I'm replying to my own message to update a few things.

First, I found all the Python dev files I was missing and rebuilt Soapy. No change in behavior.

Second, I've tried unplugging and replugging my RSP. Sometimes I get the udev message in SoapySDRUtil --probe, sometimes I don't. No difference in end behavior.

Third, I've noticed that the SoapySDR device selection menu in cubicsdr doesn't even list sdrplay as an option to manually add a device. I've looked in the Mint software manager and no other version of Soapy appears to be installed, so I'm really puzzled as to what's going on.
Last edited by Jim Shaffer on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

mbott

Post by mbott » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Jim,

I've been exactly where you are and can't tell you the number of times I've given up. First with several Ubuntu LTS versions and again with Linux Mint. Very frustrating indeed.

It is unfortunate that the SDRplays (I have the RSP2 and RSPduo) are not as easy to set up and use with Linux. Case in point, I also own the Airspy HF+ and Discovery. Following these instructions (http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu) I do have Gqrx working quite well in Linux Mint 19.2 on multiple laptops with my Airspy HF+. On a "spare" hard drive, I've made several attempts to "add" RSP2 support to the working Gqrx installation. No joy at all. So I've put everything away for a bit and will need to give it a go sometime in the future. It will be interesting to see what comes first: getting the RSP2 up and running with the Airspy or SDRuno 2.0-whatever.

:cry:

--
Mike
Last edited by mbott on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Sony ICF-2010 Sangean ATS-909X Icom IC-R71A & IC-7300 Tecsun PL-660 Kenwood R-1000 & R-5000 Yeasu FRG-7 SDRplay RSP2 & RSPduo Airspy HF+ & Discovery JRC NRD-535D CountyComm GP-5/SSB Pixel RF Pro-1B Wellbrook ALA1530LNP

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:51 pm

Take a look at this video - it might help you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFgShByK20

Best regards,

Andy

mbott

Post by mbott » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:07 am

sdrplay wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:51 pm

Best regards,

Andy
Thanks Andy! The video what quite informative and pretty easy to follow. However, still no joy at Gqrx finding the RSP2. See ticket #535240 for all the details. I apologize in advance is I missed something.

--
Mike
Last edited by mbott on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Sony ICF-2010 Sangean ATS-909X Icom IC-R71A & IC-7300 Tecsun PL-660 Kenwood R-1000 & R-5000 Yeasu FRG-7 SDRplay RSP2 & RSPduo Airspy HF+ & Discovery JRC NRD-535D CountyComm GP-5/SSB Pixel RF Pro-1B Wellbrook ALA1530LNP

mbott

Post by mbott » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:22 pm

sdrplay wrote:

Best regards,

Andy
Eureka! I currently have both the Airspy HF+ and the RSP2 up and running under Gqrx. However, it took Andy (quite) a bit of finagling via TeamViewer to make it happen. This was done on my Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon "test laptop". I captured the session, but not sure I could recreate all the steps on my day-to-day LM laptop.

So, I'll hold on to this hard drive image for a bit. I'm told (and I now agree) my best bet is to build Gqrx from scratch so future updates are less likely to break Gqrx. That is where I'll direct my effort. Luckily the build script I followed on the Gqrx website show the steps to totally remove any Gqrx install. So my next step is to image the current hard drive (Clonezilla is your friend), remove Gqrx and then build from scratch. WooHoo!

--
Mike
(Edited for spelling)
Last edited by mbott on Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gozirra

Post by gozirra » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:44 pm

sdrplay wrote:

Best regards,

Andy
Just followed your video, and it worked great with my RSP1A.
Last edited by gozirra on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.