HF preselector performance

Useful information regarding antennas for SDR products.
Paul

HF preselector performance

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:14 am

I have to be careful how I word this to try to avoid misunderstanding, but here goes...
Does the use of an HF preselector when radio reception is worse than usual increase the preselector's normal DB loss above it's norm?
Put a differnet way - If under normal reception conditions this loss is only a couple of DB, would one expect that in worsened reception conditions the loss could be in the order of 20 DB above that received without the preselector?

Reason: No reason

Paul

Re: HF preselector performance

Post by Paul » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:54 am

Paul wrote:I have to be careful how I word this to try to avoid misunderstanding, but here goes...
Does the use of an HF preselector when radio reception is worse than usual increase the preselector's normal DB loss above it's norm?
Put a differnet way - If under normal reception conditions this loss is only a couple of DB, would one expect that in worsened reception conditions the loss could be in the order of 20 DB above that received without the preselector?
Thank you, if you have looked at this, but I have found that I had caused myself a problem by installing a powered usb hub.
To be honest, I only purchased it to be able to position the ports in a more convenient location and had no usb power problems - simply resolved by removing the power source (dramatic effect).
FYI, with power on, there was slight , but noticeable rfi on the receiver, although signal strength appeared to be unaffected (only the preselector).

Reason: No reason