RSP Spectrum analyser software available shortly

Information and discussions on Spectrum Analysis
9a4db

Re: RSP Spectrum analyser software available shortly

Post by 9a4db » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am

SteveAndrew wrote: As I understand it, are you are trying to use a virtual comms port to talk to the analyser, instead of using the Arduino ? You want to receive the analyser commands into your own software that drives the Synth ?
That is right.
Tnx for link.
Djani

Reason: No reason

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:05 pm

9a4db wrote:That is right.
Tnx for link.
OK, give me a day or two and I'll see what can be done.

9a4db

Post by 9a4db » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Great 8-)
Thank You.

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:13 am

Hi Djani

I've got something working using com0com, It's written in C# and I believe it does exactly what you need. Give me a few hours to tidy it up and document it, and I'll post a ZIP file with the source code here.

73's

Steve

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Djani

I've posted a new topic, Virtual Trackgen. The code you need is attached to the post in a zip file. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

ja8scd

Post by ja8scd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:13 am

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your nice software. I have so far observed two issues.

1. The options will not displayed correctly as per the attached screen shot. I live in Japan and do not have any locale issues for installation, but this may be peculiar to Windows JPN versions only. Hope you can fix this at the next update.

2. While I was playing with SAS, I came to notice differences in measured dBm values between RSP models and also between SDRuno and SAS. Please see the attached. I used a signal generator at 28.5MHz and 50.5MHz (ca. -73dBm out), and measured the peak values using SDRuno and SAS on 4 different RSP models respectively. In the case of RSPduo, there are larger difference in the readings between SDRuno and SAS. Will such differences be corrected in the future?

P.S. to SDRplay support: On SDRuno, the S meter readings suddenly increases by about 20dB after the tune is set above around 29.7MHz. The dBm value on the spectrum window remains correct, though. Kindly check this out.

73 de Yas JA8SCD
Attachments
uno-vs-sas.png
uno-vs-sas.png (13.25 KiB) Viewed 29220 times
options.png
options.png (24.48 KiB) Viewed 29220 times
Last edited by ja8scd on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 am

Regarding the S-Meter display, yes that is correct, as per the IARU region 1 specification (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S_meter) HF is different to VHF by 20dB - you can turn off this option in SDRuno in the Main Window Settings panel under MISC if you want to, but by default it's enabled.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:09 am

ja8scd wrote:1. The options will not displayed correctly as per the attached screen shot. I live in Japan and do not have any locale issues for installation, but this may be peculiar to Windows JPN versions only. Hope you can fix this at the next update.
I can think of no reason why this should happen. Although you have no region issues, I can only suggest changing your region to USA or UK and see if you still have the same problem. If it is still the same, then maybe there is an issue with Windows for Japan.
ja8scd wrote:2. While I was playing with SAS, I came to notice differences in measured dBm values between RSP models and also between SDRuno and SAS.
I have noticed the same difference in levels between the Duo and the other models. I'll talk to tech support and see if they have anything. The differences between RSP-SAS and SDRuno - I'll have a look and see what the differences are here with my setup and will try and get back with a post for you.

There may be some small differences between SDR models of the same type (a few dB) as they rely on internal default gain tables and there is bound to be some small differences from radio to radio due to production spread. That would be for the same model though.That is the reason why I included a dBm Trim control on the Input panel. In future releases, the trim adjustment will be saved for each radio allowing you to make an accurate calibration for each model.

ja8scd

Post by ja8scd » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:59 am

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

1. I tried to change the region or even the language to US/English, but it did not cure the display issue. The Windows using double-byte codes (such as Chinese and Japanese versions) tend to display characters, spaces and lines larger. Would appreciate it if you could give some more space between the clickable buttons and the lower edge, so these clickable buttons can be displayed correctly even on the double-byte Windows versions. (I added the US language, but it did not cure the problem, and even worse I had a problem with my emailer Thunderbird. It took a few hours for me to have it fixed . So I would not recommend double-byte users to add a language should one encounter this issue.)

2. Duly noted. Thanks for your checking.

P.S. to Tech Support: Thanks a lot! I was forgotten why there is a checkbox under SETT.->MISC.

73 de Yas JA8SCD
Last edited by ja8scd on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

SteveAndrew

Post by SteveAndrew » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:18 am

ja8scd wrote:1. I tried to change the region or even the language to US/English, but it did not cure the display issue.
That is a pity. The options form is being changed as there will be more options in the next release. I'll see if the buttons can be moved to somewhere where they should be more accessible. Apart from the options form, have you noticed any other problems with the display using region settings for Japan?

Regarding the difference in signal levels between the analyser and SDRuno: I'm still looking into this, and it may take some time before I can get back to you. If you could allow me some time, I'll see what I can find out.