MacPorts sdrplay support for gr-osmosdr

Add useful snippets of code or links to entire SDR projects.
mrj

MacPorts sdrplay support for gr-osmosdr

Post by mrj » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:39 am

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48451

The easiest way to install gqrx and gr-osmosdr on a Mac is to use MacPorts.

The above ticket proposes a diff to the Portfile to make it easier to use an SDRPlay on a Mac.

However, there's some reluctance to merge the patch because the SDRPlay Mac API download requires a serial # check / registration nowadays.

Can someone from the SDRPlay side comment on the ticket or reach out to the MacPorts people to work something out?
Last edited by mrj on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

sdrplay

Re: MacPorts sdrplay support for gr-osmosdr

Post by sdrplay » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:18 pm

I've had some issues producing the latest Mac build of the API but they are resolved, so that will be released today.

As far as obtaining the API is concerned, we request serial number information for support purposes. There is a button to obtain the API on trial if you have not received your RSP yet.

I don't understand why this method for obtaining the API means that the latest version of gr-osmosdr should not be supported in Macports?

The latest changes to the gr-osmosdr code will be submitted to the central gr-osmosdr repository today hopefully as well.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support
Last edited by sdrplay on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

jazzkutya

Re: MacPorts sdrplay support for gr-osmosdr

Post by jazzkutya » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:41 pm

sdrplay wrote: I don't understand why this method for obtaining the API means that the latest version of gr-osmosdr should not be supported in Macports?
Macports is about compiling (mostly free and opensource) code and distributing the binaries. The SDRplay API library and include files are required at compile time to build something that uses it. So they need a scriptable way to acquire the lib and header file.

Sure there may be other ways to access the lib, like dlopen()ing it and query the function pointers, but that is extra work, less portable and it should be done at the gr-osmosdr upstream. I think no single opensource guy would like the extra work just to please some company who does not make publicly available even the closed source binary files.
Last edited by jazzkutya on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.