Multiple VRX receiver /tuner operation

General discussions
glovisol

Multiple VRX receiver /tuner operation

Post by glovisol » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm

I apologize for asking a probably obvious question through lack of experience ....Can somebody explain to me how I go about receiving two or more signals coming from as many VRX'ses / Tuners with a PC with just one audio output?

Perhaps this info is available somewhere but I have been unable to find it....

Thanks in advance,

glovisol

Reason: No reason

Mike2459

Re: Multiple VRX receiver /tuner operation

Post by Mike2459 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 am

I believe it's possible to route 2 channels fairly easily to the audio output in SDRUno, by routing the output of VRX1 to the left stereo channel and VRX2 to the right stereo channel for example. The mute control in each VRX can then be used to silence that particular VRX.

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks for this reply....But what happens for more VRX'ses? Would one need a desktop with several audio cards?

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 pm

For what it may contribute to this thread (& likely very little or nothing at all), I have run an RSP2 using SDRuno and a RTL receiver using the SDRuno EXTIO version simultaneously, both audio outputs using the same sound resource without problem, the RSP on HF and the RTL on V/UHF.
This worked Ok, but is possibly not pertinent to the question.
If not, please just treat this as "noise."

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:32 pm

With one sound card, with each unique VRX (out of a group of VRX's) in SDRuno set to send it's output to both (L&R) channels the audio output is mixed and sent to both the left and right output channels. Each VRX can be muted, squelched and have it's output level set in SDRUno.

Were you planning to monitor multiple frequencies simultaneously? If so this can be done with one sound card.

There are also inexpensive USB external sound cards and headphones available.

Mikesimpson

Post by Mikesimpson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 pm

If you need to run multiple VRX (I use ten), you need virtual audio cable which gives you any number of virtual channels for sound. These are usually used for utility listening where you can decode multiple channels simultaneously, however if you need to listen to multiple channels, you can switch between them to listen to each channel as it becomes active.
Last edited by Mikesimpson on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks to all, most informative. Please comment on the following mind experiment.

THOUGHT EXPERIMENT
I wish to use 5 Receivers for as many separate and simultaneous listening positions. Each listener has his own set of headphones. SDRuno is set up with the regular receiver plus 4 VRX receivers, each receiver set to a different frequency.
The PC uses Virtual Cable software, feeding the internal sound card plus 4 external USB cards via an USB hub.

Is the above possible or not? Of course we assume that the PC has the necessary power & RAM capacity to simoultaneously handle 5 receivers as well as Virtual Cable.

If not, what configuration should be used to obtain the result?

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:04 am

It should work. I just tried it with an onboard soundcard and USB s/c using 4 vrx's one assigned to each audio channel. No problems although switching audio channels on the fly does not work with SDRUno apparently.
A latency issue could arise from having 4 USB soundcards on the same USB hub.
I would try it without VAC first. I don't think you will need it for your application. You would need it if you planned to record any of the channels - the USB s/c that I used did not have a Stereo-Mix input, probably because of it's built-in microphone.

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Very many thanks, Mike, most useful info. I shall get the hardware and have a go at it!

Best regards,

glovisol

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:34 pm

It is still the same problem...I have been unable to solve, see:

"Independent audio outputs for the SDRuno" where it is now solved.

https://www.sdrplay.com/community/viewt ... f=5&t=3882