INDEPENDENT AUDIO OUTPUTS FOR SDRuno

General discussions
glovisol

INDEPENDENT AUDIO OUTPUTS FOR SDRuno

Post by glovisol » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Call for help!

I really hope some forum member has alredy worked out the multiple output setup I have uploaded below and would be kind enough to provide an in depth detailed explanation on how to do it! The external USB / audio channels should ideally be a commercial, ready made unit or an adaptation of something already existing.
Attachments
Multiple independent audio outputs.jpg
Multiple independent audio outputs.jpg (48.05 KiB) Viewed 23925 times

Reason: No reason

Mike2459

Re: INDEPENDENT AUDIO OUTPUTS FOR SDRuno

Post by Mike2459 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:42 am

SDRUno allows the operator to route the output of each VRX to a specific audio endpoint. For example: VRX0>USBSoundCard1Left, VRX1>USBSC1Right,VRX2>USBSC2Left, etc. Two USB Sound cards could provide 4 unique monaural audio outputs. With suitable audio adapters the audio could be routed to 4 separate sets of headphones with each headphone playing 1 of 4 unique channels. This would require only two USB Sound cards
Alternatively 4 USB Sound Cards and 4 headphones would achieve the same result, without the need for any adapters, In this case the 'Both' output in SDRUno would be used. Would either of these setups work reliably? Hard to say!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (19.18 KiB) Viewed 23901 times

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:55 am

Can you propose a specific sound card? I have tried the EVERYMAN TALK 5115 and unfortunately it is prone to crosstalk...perhaps you can advise better quality items.

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi Mike, would this audio card be suitable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Output ... rk:12:pf:0

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:53 am

Re: the EVERYMAN TALK 5115 and crosstalk
I have a Logitech USB headset. I believe these two operate the same way. If you have output routing selected to Both in 2 VRX's then the audio from those VRX's will be mixed and sent to the headset on both channels (crosstalk). The only way to avoid this is to use multiple sound cards, one for each VRX. Each VRX must be set to output to a different sound card or headset. It is possible to use one soundcard to output two channels from 2 VRX's (one over the L channel, the other over R) into a splitter to two sets of headphones.

The soundcard you referenced would probably work but I was thinking along the lines of the cheap USB dongle type.

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:37 am

In effect yesterday I used two dongle type, single channel, USB sound cards. If outputs of every VRX is set to LEFT or RIGHT, you end up with 4 outputs for 4 VRX receivers. I tested this quickly yesterday night, but PC load becomes heavy with 4 VRX. To avoid crosstalk audio level to the sound cards must be kept low.

l shall report additional tests..

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:44 am

Hi Mike 2459, it works fine! To provide the sound outputs is much easier than anticipated.

- The PC sound card, being Stereo, has two channels already.

- An external USB sound card dongle provides two additional channels. Figure 1 shows the two sound cards enabled and in use. With this setup we have four VRX's available, each with its own sound.

- Furthermore adding an additional USB sound card dongle, it is true that we have exhausted the PC/W7 capability (only two sound cards can be accessed) but luckily SDRuno accesses the internal sound card by default even if not set in use. This is shown in Figure 2. With this setup we can have six VRX's available, each with its own sound.

The limit to the number of VRX that can be used is posed:

a) by the availability of a large and higher resolution external screen monitors to show single or multiple VRX's .
b) By the capabilities of the PC used (speed and RAM). This becomes the absolute limiting factor: for instance 4 VRX's monitoring on the max. bandwith of 10 MHZ would dictate the use o a 3.5 Gb, 5 core machine with 16 GB RAM.

To recover all the independent audios, a small interface must be built, where the shielded cables conductors for Right and Left are split and amplified separately, if necessary.

The system has been tested with 4 VRX on a 2 MHz bandwith and PC screens are shown in Figures 3 & 4.
Attachments
1. Single USB sound card.jpg
Figure 1 - Settiing up with one USB dongle
1. Single USB sound card.jpg (79.79 KiB) Viewed 23801 times
2. Double USB sound card.jpg
Figure 2 - Setting up with two USB dongles
2. Double USB sound card.jpg (87.26 KiB) Viewed 23801 times

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:47 am

More PC screens below.
Attachments
In operation.png
In operation.png (434.54 KiB) Viewed 23797 times
3. Main panel, VRX#0.jpg
Figure 3. PC screen of laptop and VRX#0 with main SDRuno system panel
3. Main panel, VRX#0.jpg (285.16 KiB) Viewed 23801 times
4. Auxiliary panel VRX# 1_3.jpg
Figure 4. PC screen showing external display with additional VRX's
4. Auxiliary panel VRX# 1_3.jpg (361.94 KiB) Viewed 23801 times

Mike2459

Post by Mike2459 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:09 pm

Good work!!

Tip: You can rename the sound cards in their properties section. It might help avoid confusion. While trying this out, I was losing track of what output was going where!!

glovisol

Post by glovisol » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Like this? See figure 5.
Attachments
5. Renamed sound cards.jpg
Figure 5. This is better when several VRX's have to be managed!
5. Renamed sound cards.jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 23780 times