No signal vhf rsp2

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
whiteghost

No signal vhf rsp2

Post by whiteghost » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi, I have a rsp2, I have a problem for 10 days, I have a diamond disc, comet gp9, and a row for hf, 10 days ago I listened in vhf also bridges of 150 km distant, now in vhf I hear nothing, the band aerial in am yes, after 140mhz I can not hear anything anymore. What could have happened? Sorry my english is italian
Last edited by whiteghost on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

Tech_Support

Re: No signal vhf rsp2

Post by Tech_Support » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Hello Whiteghost,
Have you tried broadcast VHF FM? Perhaps you can post a screenshot?

Sincerely

Tech_Support

whiteghost

Post by whiteghost » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:07 am

I do not have a transmitter, I have delivered my rsp2 to the store, to understand the problem, they told me that the amplifier of the rsp2 on high bands can be burned, possible? Burned with the discus electrostatic charges
Last edited by whiteghost on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Hello Whiteghost,
Damage due to lightning will tend to affect all bands on the port affected and not just operation at VHF. Normal static is unlikely to damage the device as they are rated to 8kV. Static damage will never result in components appearing visually burned. This only occurs when sufficient RF power has been applied to the RF port to cause high levels of thermal dissipation and generally requires several watts of RF power to be appliedf to achieve this

Sincerely

Tech_Support

whiteghost

Post by whiteghost » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:18 pm

So what happened? In hf it works well, in 120-132 mhz aerial band works well, from 140mhz to 430mhz I can not hear anything, I tried everything. I do not know what to do

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Hello Whiteghost,
The VHF & UHF band filters on the RSP2 go from 60-120 MHz, 120 - 250 MHz, 250 - 420 MHz and 420 -1000 MHz,
So if you are getting signals at 120-132 MHz, then the second VHF band must be operational.

You ask what has happened? I am afraid that is an impossible question to answer given the information at my disposal.

Presumably if you have returned your unit to where you purchased it, they will check it out for you. If it has failed, I presume they will return it to us for failure analysis.

Sincerely

Tech_Support

SdrPlay_IT

Post by SdrPlay_IT » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am

hello there,
i in Hamradioshop already get in to try solving the trouble of whiteghost, providing all the necessary aftersale assistance. The first thing i made was remote desktop on the PC. I noted signals on the broadcast FM band a 20/30 db lower than usuals, then very weak signals on the mid-high VHF band portion. Demodulation is ok, and all the basic settings on a *summary* check are OK.
As the official SDRplay support state, is nearly impossible to track a problem on RF environments without firm points of references. Tests will and must be made with signal generators, and tested cables.
In fact, when i said above "20/30 db lower than usual" regarding FMW broadcast, is a generic "usual" based on my experience of signals usually peaking -20, -30 dBm. But is not true that also on whiteghost's QTH there are those signals strenght.
Then, only measures with SSG in laboratory will tell the truth.
For the record and for the benefit of all SDRplay community readers here, i'll keep you informed.

Cristiano IZ0IEN
Tech Supervisor
Hamradioshop - Italy
Last edited by SdrPlay_IT on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.