Raspberry Pi with RSP_TCP - audio issues

Post information or questions regarding SDRplay products here
StandingWave

Raspberry Pi with RSP_TCP - audio issues

Post by StandingWave » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:25 pm

I have been experimenting with RSP_TCP as I thought it would be a neat idea to hook up my RSP2 to a Pi and control it remotely. I have managed to get this working sort off, but I cannot get clean audio. I have a Pi v3 and and did a fresh minimal install of Raspian, i.e. command line only - no GUI. I then downloaded and installed the API and then the RSP_TCP server, both of which completed easily and without any problem.

Initially I initially tried running RSP_TCP over the WiFi interface. I could see that the connection from SDRuno was being accepted by the RSP_TCP server and the application seems to function, but the audio is only a series of pulsated short audio snippets. I then tried using the wired Ethernet connection instead. The audio was no longer pulsated with silence, but I was still getting the transmission in snippets making most words and sentences unintelligible.

I also tried disabling WiFi and Bluetooth completely, but this didn't seem to help at all.

The question now in my mind it, is the Pi actually up to the job? Or is there some optimization I need to do? Yes, I know there is an image, but I went down this route to get a minimal install thinking it would be more efficient. I don't need a GUI or CubicSDR on the Pi.

Reason: No reason

StandingWave

Re: Raspberry Pi with RSP_TCP - audio issues

Post by StandingWave » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:54 pm

I have experimented some more and found that I needed to reduce the sample rate. Going to 1.0 MSPS significantly improves things, but I had to go all the way down to 0.250 MSPS to get smooth audio. At after making this adjustment it works, but is this really the fastest possible with a Pi over Ethernet?

Reason: No reason