pwr supply for miniwhtp

Useful information regarding antennas for SDR products.
geraldw321

pwr supply for miniwhtp

Post by geraldw321 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:43 pm

hi there

im trying too find a power supply for a miniwhip antenna i have, it needs 12-15v @ 150miliamps . i have a wallwart but its putting out 17v @150ma i dont want too try that. so anyone know where too get a power supply or PS kit at a reasonable price???
Last edited by geraldw321 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

DanubeBCL

Re: pwr supply for miniwhtp

Post by DanubeBCL » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Stabilized PS with a classical transformer are hard to find nowadays. Sometimes you can get suitable surplus wallmarts at ebay. But you have to be careful: The sellers often do know the difference between a classical transformer PS and a switched PS and tag their articles wrong. Switched PS have a terrible RF noise suppression. I would not use them in a radio reception environment.
Maybe you also tell the country where you live and the type of plug/socket your Miniwhip bias T has. Perhaps someone knows a ressource near you.
73, Heinrich

geraldw321

Post by geraldw321 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Hello again

Thanks for the reply,i have shopped the bay but most listings are vauge at best as to the items properties.

im in the united states and the whips power converter has no plug i need too solder the wires too it directly.

thanks gw
Last edited by geraldw321 on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.

DanubeBCL

Post by DanubeBCL » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 am

Hello,
I do not know which electronic shops in the States still have analogue PS in their portfolio. I have searched a bit in ebay.com, but the result was a desaster: All wallmart PS I found were switched.
Some hamradio shops still have 12/13.8 V PS at higher amperage which are analogue. But they are more expensive and a bit overdone for a Miniwhip.
As good old PS are hard to get I build my own stabilized PS from old mains transformers out of old radios or similar.

73, Heinrich