Recorder Audio Files

General discussions
Kevin

Recorder Audio Files

Post by Kevin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Hello Folks,
Been going through the 'you Tube' videos about the RDS 2 and revision 1.21 of SDuno and came up with a question. Trying to use the recorder on the main panel. It appears to be working because it records a .wave file but no audio is heard. The computer sound system is functional. Just no audio from that particular or files file??? I know I'm missing something.

Thanks

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: No reason

g1hbe

Re: Recorder Audio Files

Post by g1hbe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:16 am

AFAIK, the files are IQ recordings, not audio.

Andy

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 am

Kevin wrote:Hello Folks,
Been going through the 'you Tube' videos about the RDS 2 and revision 1.21 of SDuno and came up with a question. Trying to use the recorder on the main panel. It appears to be working because it records a .wave file but no audio is heard. The computer sound system is functional. Just no audio from that particular or files file??? I know I'm missing something.

Thanks

Kevin
Hi Kevin
In my personal experience, I have found that the inbuilt recording system in SDRplay (simultaneously) records the LO, and all functions OK as long as the recording is played back before moving off the targeted frequency(when it plays back faithfully, including spectrum display), but if Il eave that frequency and come back to replay the recording at a later stage, the resulting output is useless, displaying the LO frequency.
Whether or not there is actually audio there or not I can't remember.
My technical capabilities are of the cromagnon order, so I gave up and use "Audacity" instead.
Shame...

OH2BUA

Post by OH2BUA » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:34 pm

What SDRuno records is a wideband I/Q recording which is a really great and seriously FAT thing - but not an audio recording, even though the filename extension is .WAV.

HDSDR is much more flexible when it comes into recordings. You can record I/Q and audio, and schedule recordings with powerful adjustments.

73, Jukka

sdrplay

Post by sdrplay » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Current SDRuno (v1.21) records IQ data of the entire bandwidth being displayed. It is stored in a WAV container.

The next release (v1.22) will have scheduled recording and a future release will have audio recording.

Best regards,

SDRplay Support

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi folks
I have to confirm that my reply to this one of Kevin's is based on multiple recording instances - Put simply, the .wav file produced would replay the audio as long as the RSP remained on frequency - I do NOT pretend to understand it, but was a fact in version 1.12/13 at at least.
Once you changed frequency the recording was/is lost.
I haven't tried since the change to 1.21, but will have a looksee.
Had a looksee - still true iuno 2.21
What I did not remember, was that if you changed frequency and tried to replay the file, it plays what is occuring in real time - I think...
Over to the big brains...

Paul wrote:
Kevin wrote:Hello Folks,

Thanks

Kevin
Hi Kevin
In my personal experience, I have found that the inbuilt recording system in SDRplay (simultaneously) records the LO, and all functions OK as long as the recording is played back before moving off the targeted frequency(when it plays back faithfully, including spectrum display), but if Il eave that frequency and come back to replay the recording at a later stage, the resulting output is useless, displaying the LO frequency.
Whether or not there is actually audio there or not I can't remember.
My technical capabilities are of the cromagnon order, so I gave up and use "Audacity" instead.
Shame...

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Hello Paul,
Can you open up a support ticket on this? We simply do not see what you describe. I can make a recording with the LO at say 7 MHz, switch the frequency to say to the 20m band for a while, then go back and select WAV file as the input and select my recording and it displays the LO at 7 MHz with good audio. If there is a bug there that we are not aware of, it would be good to know the precise sequence of steps that you are using that triggers the bug.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:21 am

Tech_Support wrote:Hello Paul,
Can you open up a support ticket on this? We simply do not see what you describe. I can make a recording with the LO at say 7 MHz, switch the frequency to say to the 20m band for a while, then go back and select WAV file as the input and select my recording and it displays the LO at 7 MHz with good audio. If there is a bug there that we are not aware of, it would be good to know the precise sequence of steps that you are using that triggers the bug.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support
dear Tech Support & any others interested
Yes, gladly, however, as I hoped to point out, my technical prowess might be as high as cromagnon level and on further mucking about i have discoverer a. That the LO reference that i made was a "bum steer," but did discover something potentially interesting.
b. The audio recording remains good, even having switched frequency, but will not play back unless you return to the original frequency, when it does replay - checked this this morning and remains true.
I posted this here to allow others to see and perhaps contribute.
c. IQ recording? - way out of my league....

Tech_Support

Post by Tech_Support » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 am

Hello again Paul,
If you could give us your precise sequence of steps, we might be able to understand what is going on here. What should happen and what does happen when we do this is that when you select the input option to be a WAV file, you get asked which WAV file you want to play. When you open the specific WQAV file, the LO is automatically indicated at the value that it was recorded and all you need to do is press play. It shouldn't matter what frequency your RSP was set to before changing the input source to a WAV file. If you don't see this, then there perhaps is a bug that is exposed by the fact that you are using a subtly different sequence of steps.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Tech_Support wrote:Hello again Paul,
If you could give us your precise sequence of steps, we might be able to understand what is going on here. What should happen and what does happen when we do this is that when you select the input option to be a WAV file, you get asked which WAV file you want to play. When you open the specific WQAV file, the LO is automatically indicated at the value that it was recorded and all you need to do is press play. It shouldn't matter what frequency your RSP was set to before changing the input source to a WAV file. If you don't see this, then there perhaps is a bug that is exposed by the fact that you are using a subtly different sequence of steps.

Sincerely

SDRplay Tech_Support
Hello long-suffering Tech Support

I will keep this as concise as possible (but please bear in mind my lack of a technical background).

1. Tune frequency of interest.
2. Commence recording.
3. Cease recording.
4. Select source .wav (stored in documents eg: SDRuno_20171220_185552Z_2872kHzed.WAV).
5. Press play (and voila!) a "beautiful" AUDIO and VISUAL SPECTRUM recording is replayed).
6. Re-select SDRplay RSP continue tuning activity.
7.Tune in to another frequency.
8. Stay on that frequency.
9. Select source "same" .wav as before and play..
10. The previously recorded audio & video does not replay.
11. Return to frequency on which the recording was made.
12. Select the "same".wav file again
13. Press play and the previously recorded audio/video is replayed.

Yes, the automatically indicated LO value is probably where my reference to LO came from and as far as I can see confirms what I believed.
So, despite assertions to the contrary, an Audio recording IS made (and is recoverable/replayable). in my experience, providing one re-tunes to the frequency on which it was made).
Anyway, this definitely works for me and I'm quite chuffed to find that I can replay it any time.
It does not seem to matter if the machine is rebooted, providing one returns to the original source frequency to replay it.
I do hope that the above is clearly understandable and that it may be helpful.