REMOTING RSP VIA USB - PROBLEM SOLVED

General discussions
glovisol

REMOTING RSP VIA USB - PROBLEM SOLVED

Post by glovisol » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Today I received an USB2.0 repeater cable manufactured & sold by LogiLink Germany with a length of 10 m. On Ebay I paid EUR 11.00 for the cable + EUr 7.00 for express courier shipment.

Connected the cable between the PC USB output and the 5 m USB cable coming from my RSPduo.

Switched RSPdu on: the system worked the first time: no RFI, no problems, no fuss. At least 3 cables can be placed in series and this makes for a remoting distance of 35 m, or 115'. Not bad for a total expenditure of EUR/$ 33.00 approx!

Cable manufacturer is LogiLink: http://www.Loglink.de

Cheers,

glovisol

Reason: No reason

glovisol

Re: REMOTING RSP VIA USB - PROBLEM SOLVED

Post by glovisol » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:41 pm

DISTINGUITUR.....DISTINGUITUR, this is the most used word of St. Bonaventura da Bagnorea, summus scholastic philosopher of the Catholic Middle Ages.

To what lightning danger are you referring to?

A) An induced strike on the long wire antenna will be blocked by the balun transformer, whose primary must be connected to earth by definition. In the worst possible case the balun will disintegrate.
B) A direct strike on the long wire antenna will produce unforeseable damage, but it is and always has been an elementary precaution to DISCONNECT the long wire antennas in case of a rainstorm. In fact they should always be disconnected when not in use.
C) A strike happening or not happening on the remote RSP receiver depends on the quality of its installation: this is not the proper thread to discuss installations.
D) A strike happening or not happening on the USB cable itself again depends on the quality of the installation: Iron pipes and/or burial underground will solve this remote of the remotest dangers....not forgetting that this cable is so thin it will burn out by itself with a direct hit.

glovisol

Re: REMOTING RSP VIA USB - PROBLEM SOLVED

Post by glovisol » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi Noel,

I have no intention to be drawn into an endless discussion about feedline grounding dangers, methods and concepts, while my original post is about the possibility of USB remoting the RSP receivers.

We all, by the simple principle of respect to other members of this Community, should be disciplined enough to avoid sharing own personal information and feelings, be concise and stick to the subject at hand. Only in this way and following these rules, we can be of service to the Community.

Cheers,

glovisol